20 Gallon High Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be setting up my 20 Gallon High Nano reef within the next couple of days but I am still looking for fish that would be comfortable in this sort of tank. I plan on having 25 lbs of live rock with two powerheads on either end of the aquarium as well as an Aqueon 30 Filter.

The fish that the girl friend and I are currently looking at are located below:

Green Band Goby
Black Barred Convict Goby
Banggai Cardinalfish
T.R. Pseudo Aldabraensis (Neon Dottyback)

We are also for sure getting two small sized Percula Clowns for the tank as well as some cleaner shrimp and snails for algae control. I am not sure if those four mention fish will fit comfortably in the tank together or if that would be overcrowded. If so what are your opinions on the fish that we should aim for over time.

I do not plan on adding everything at once but probably a fish every couple of weeks or sooner depending on how things are going. I just want to have the fish picked out so we can try and find a place that has a pretty one for a good price.

Thanks for the help.

Side Note: Does anyone know of a good site to order fish from incase none of the LFS's have the ones that we desire? I have been looking at Petsolutions.com and have ordered a few things from there but no fish have been ordered as of right now.

I've ordered fish from petsolutions with no problems. I;ve also ordered from aquacon with some difficulties. Liveaquaria is known ti be the best so if they have what you want that'd be the first place I;d go to.

I think stock wise you will be a tad high, BUT if you take care of it and add slowly I think they can make it in there. :)

Weekly water changes will be a must as well as monitoring for any hostility between the clowns and the others.

My girlfriend really likes the Strawberry Dottyback and I know you can't keep two Dottybacks in the same tank. Atleast that is what I read but I can't find its behavior or tank requirement. I really like the Neon because it would look cool with the night lights on but the tank is for her so if its possible to house the strawberry I'd like to get that.

Thanks for the reply Carey :) I will check both of those sites out and see what I can find. I saw an inch or so long Neon Dottyback at the LFS and now I really want one. They are beautiful.

The famous "your'e gonna need a bigger tank" phrase comes to mind. LOL

You should have gotten a 40g breeder tank at petco sale. lol

Now I am reading on another site that the Neon Dottyback is Aggressive after Petsolutions says it is peaceful. The other site also said that it may eat ornamental shrimp. Anyone have experience with this fish? Also apparently gets 4" and requires a 30 gallon tank. hmmm such different information...

I really like the look of the 20 Gallon High aquarium and we can cut down no problem just wanted to see if all of these would work. We may just get two clowns and maybe just two of these four fish. I don't want to overcrowd anything I just want some cool colors in the tank.

I don't think that will be a problem but I want everything to get along as well. The pretty fish are always mean lol.

If in doubt listen to liveaquaria. I find their information to be much more solid. You can also do a google search too and see what other sites are saying. It;s good you have the time to research and youre doing a great job at it too. :-D

Seems like it would be easier to do research than have my fish being beat up and having to isolate. Thank you :)

I'm already liking liveaquaria more since it has a nano fish section. Makes things a lot easier and I don't have to get teased by the other beautiful fish. Miss having a Blondie Nazo Tang.

I wanted the blonde naso too, beautiful fish! I just dont think I have enough room for one. Plus they arent the cheapest fish either. I woudl prefer a pruple tang for that kind of money. But probably won't get one of them either. lol

Just take it slow as youre doing and research your heart out. You'll be glad you did. But remember that sometimes no matter how hard you try the fish may just be difficult fish and not gt along. It won't be a reflection on you but it could happen. Some clowns are just plain mean. I have a pair of misbarred osceallris and the female is a royal b word. She would have killed my b&w clowns if I hadnt taken immediate action.

Once you get going you'll know your tank better than anyone and can decide from there how to proceed. I have a feel for my tanks thats hard to explain, I just know when something isnt right or working out. It just feels wrong. You'll understand soon enough

Another Question:

Should I buy a glass cover for my aquarium? I was reading that certain species of dottybacks would jump out of an aquarium if given the chance. I would prefer to keep all of my fish in the aquarium if possible but I'm never seen a place that sells a glass aquarium top.

I remember us talking about the turbo snails before and you stated that they get fairly large. Is there another snail that would be god on a clean up team with cleaner shrimp and won't make much of a rucus in the tank?

I just bought these tops for my new 55g.

Aqueon Versa-Tops | Hoods & Canopies | PetSolutions

They just sit right on the frame.

I havent' put turbo snails in my 125g even as they have a rep for moving things around and knocking over corals.

If you check out reefcleaners and go to the actual cleaners section you can see whats available. I def think turbos are too big for your tank.

If thats' what you like then get some. You can get a cleaner pack and also add on some that you like. Or you can just order the ones you want.

It's mentioned on the homepage for reefcleaners that ALL their crew they sell are reef safe and they give quite the description for each one. They even say whether its a good algae eater or not a good value for algae eating versus other crews members.

it;s your tank, so whatever you want you should have. :) Well within reason lol

Oh, I just noticed that they have a bundle you can get based on your aquarium size. The one for a 20 High comes with a blue leg hermit crab. Will I need to buy shells for this one or are they expecting it to kill some of the snails for their shells when the time comes. In the quick crew section it doesn't mention anything about needing to do so but in the information for the blue leg hermit itself it states that you may want to spread shells around the tank if you want it to not kill your snails.

For sure get some empty shells, it will help. My hermits still kill each other even though there are plenty of shells lying about. lol

Go figure....

Back
Top Bottom