20 Gallon long filtration - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xand3r

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!
So I recently got a 20 gallon long tank, but it doesn't have a filter. To be honest I've never bought a HOB filter the ones I've had have come with the tanks. I prefer canisters (I have a 306 and a 204 in my other tanks) but since this tank is so small I rather get a HOB. Since I've heard wonderful things about the aqua clear I want to get an AC 50 but I'm worried that it is going to be too big for the tank.

So what do you think will the AC 50 fit a 20 long or should I get a smaller filter?

Note: Even though I appreciate any and all help, I would rather see comments people with the filter I want to get, I also don't want to read the "you can never have too much filtration" thing, I'm asking about dimensions not about capacity.

I did not mean to sound rude.

:thanks:

I own an ac 50 and an ac 70. I have the ac 70 on my 30 gallon and it is perfect. Lots of filtration and not too much flow. I have the ac 50 on my 40 gallon with a penguin biowheel and it does a very good job. Not too much flow either.

I think an ac 50 will be perfect for your 20 gallon.

I never have had any issues with my Aquaclear filters. I don't see it being too big for 20 long and ran one on my 20 long planted at one point. What is the worst case scenario flow too much? The impellers can be shaved or smaller impeller from other lower Aquaclear units used to slow flow. The 20 long is still in use but has been converted to reef tank and uses an Aquaclear 110.

Thanks, I've been looking at the dimensions of the 30 and 50 and there doesn't seem to be much difference (4 x 9 x 8 inches (50), 4.5 x 8.2 x 6.7 inches (30)), but I don't know if they are including the intake, and that's probably my main concern since the 20 is only about 12"

Back
Top Bottom