20 Gallon Low Light Tank Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the same exact package of cholla wood from this seller:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?decorations&1363781760
In other places you would get only 2 pieces for the same price you get 4 and free shipping.
All my plants I have gotten on online from Planted Aquariums Central:
http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/site/333380a8bae04fc9b82eaa3445ff2f32#2668
My fishes and red cherry shrimp I have gotten them from this place:
http://msjinkzd.com/
I found out about her in a different forum. She is a fellow aquarist.

Thanks. I ordered the cholla wood last week. I should have it by wed. I also ordered mopani wood from amazon. I'm excited to get my plants and finish cycling. Hope to be close in a few weeks. I'll keep following your journey and getting more pointers

Thanks. I ordered the cholla wood last week. I should have it by wed. I also ordered mopani wood from amazon. I'm excited to get my plants and finish cycling. Hope to be close in a few weeks. I'll keep following your journey and getting more pointers

Cool! Can't wait to see your progress! Don't forget to keep me posted. Soak and boil you're Mopani wood a lot. Unless you are going for that look.

UPDATE: Received new fish today. Drop acclimating as I write this! Yay. Ordered 6 cardinal tetras from Msjinkzd.
http://msjinkzd.com/
Decided to ordered them because they are tank raised. Also because all my fish and shrimp I ordered from her too. Hopefully they fair better than Petco and Petsmart cardinals!
I also got some java moss. Had three dollars left on my Paypal balance so I bought a golfball sized portion. Probably going to stuff or in the cholla wood that only has the Anubias petite in the center.

1 Hour later:

The cardinal tetras have been drip acclimated and place in the tank. Leaving the lights off for a couple of hours.
I have placed the java moss on the cholla wood.
Before
View attachment 205604
After
View attachment 205605
Going to take pic of it when the lights go back on.

This is a great journal. Good job! I'm subscribed.

Thank you. I just realized I didn't post the before and after cholla wood pictures. Here they are:
Before
ForumRunner_20130312_142024.jpg
After
ForumRunner_20130312_142044.jpg
In the tank
ForumRunner_20130312_142109.jpg
Will post video and pics (is they stay still long enough) of the new inhabitants, Cardinal tetras.

Update: Yeah couldn't get not even 1 decent/not blurry pic of the Cardinal Tetras! But I did get some video.
Is there a way to upload a video without doing the YouTube route?

Nice video! Whenever I upload a video, there is a button somewhere below the text box that says "Upload a Video" and I upload one straight from my phone..

how are the new plants and neons doing?!!

The plants are doing good. The neons are has given the tank more life because the CPDs are not hiding so much anymore!
Of course the crypt spiralis melted but the roots are healthy and long. So I try as much as possible not to disturbed them while doing WC or moving stuff around.
The anacharis had really taken off. Actually liking them better than the cabomba.

I want some cardinals!!! maybe get some soon!

The lady I got mine still has some of the tank raised cardinal tetras I purchased from her.
In fact almost all my tank inhabitants came from her.
I highly, highly recommend her! Her express overnight is not that much compared to other places.

When I received mine, it was snowing with freezing temps! You just have to let her know your temperature, so she can pick out the correct size of heat paks (plus she doesn't charge for the heat paks)!

I received a plant order from AquariumPlants in January with no heat pack. Would have been fine but I suspect the package rode around in an unheated truck for about 7 hours (UPS place is about 4 miles away). Plants had some adjusting to do.
It's Spring but does not feel like it. I may be ordering shrimp from msjinkzd (sp) soon. She is about 2 hours away so I may do a road trip to cut down on the transit time during this weird weather we are having on the US midatlantic/east coast.

I received a plant order from AquariumPlants in January with no heat pack. Would have been fine but I suspect the package rode around in an unheated truck for about 7 hours (UPS place is about 4 miles away). Plants had some adjusting to do.
It's Spring but does not feel like it. I may be ordering shrimp from msjinkzd (sp) soon. She is about 2 hours away so I may do a road trip to cut down on the transit time during this weird weather we are having on the US midatlantic/east coast.

What was the state of your plants in the order? My had the insulation around it.

What was the state of your plants in the order? My had the insulation around it.

No insulation. Two zip lock bags with plants wrapped in paper. I also had some dry goods as well (root pellets). Upon opening the delivery box the zip lock bag bundles were VERY cold to the touch. I let them sit out for about an hour to minimize the temperature change. Package left the UPS station at 6:20 am (five miles away would be generous) and the shipment did not arrive at the house until after 1 pm.

Back
Top Bottom