20 Gallon Low Light Tank Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow very nice i can't wait to redo my tank gonna go for a 40 gallon for my glofish was thinking about driftwood and seeing yours makes me wanna do it now XD...as well as plants :D gj

wow very nice i can't wait to redo my tank gonna go for a 40 gallon for my glofish was thinking about driftwood and seeing yours makes me wanna do it now XD...as well as plants :D gj

Thank you. Good luck on your 40 gallon. You can do a lot with the 40 especially if its the breeder one. Check this website out for plant layouts. Its where I got my ideas from:
http://www.tropica.com/en/layouts.aspx

Moss growth Update: Finally Xmas Moss showing some growth!
Before:
Before xmas cholla wood.jpg
After:
ForumRunner_20130228_183128.jpg
Also Tank parameters been holding steady. Last 2 test results 0, 0, 10-20ppm

UPDATE: Ordered more plants! :D This hobby is contagious! :eek: Once again I ordered from Planted Aquariums Central and ordered their 20 Gallon Low Light Plant Package.
http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/20-Gallon-Low-Light-Plant-Package-lowlipack.htm
Decided to get this package because it actually has the plants I wanted to buy. Except the marimo ball, let's see how I will place it in the scape.
I am scared that am starting to get obsessive over buying plants! :what:

Now a question on stocking. With my current stock would I be able to add 5-6 Cardinal or Neon Tetras?

I cannot comment on the stocking but that sounds like a nice group of plants in the order. Good thing is you can move the moss ball anywhere. Its the tumbleweed of planted tanks. Have you figured out where everything is going to be planted? Sometimes you have to adjust things because the plants arrive much larger (or smaller) than anticipated. In you current tank what has thrived and what has be "so-so"?

I cannot comment on the stocking but that sounds like a nice group of plants in the order. Good thing is you can move the moss ball anywhere. Its the tumbleweed of planted tanks. Have you figured out where everything is going to be planted? Sometimes you have to adjust things because the plants arrive much larger (or smaller) than anticipated. In you current tank what has thrived and what has be "so-so"?
Everything is doing good except the Vals and 1 of the E. Parviflorus. What is doing really good is the crypts and the huge Anubias!

Congrats on your new additions! I will check to see when they arrive?
So the Cardinals and Java Moss came today?

Yay! My plants arrived! This is my second plant order from Planted Aquariums Central,
www.plantedaquariumscentral.com
I decided to try out his 20 Gallon Low-light plant package:
2 Java fern [received Lace Java fern(windelov)]
2 cryptocoryne wendtii red(got 5 rooted plants)
2 cryptocoryne retrospiralis or spiralis (got 3 spiralis)
2 Anacharis reg or narrow leaf
1 Marimo ball (asked for substitution got dwarf hairgrass, Yes!)
1 Med. Amazon Sword(received 2)
This is my Unboxing video. Please excuse the shaking. Trying to open the box one handed while holding cell phone is harder than it looks:
Here are some updated tank pics:
ForumRunner_20130306_221341.jpg
ForumRunner_20130306_221402.jpg
ForumRunner_20130306_221416.jpg
ForumRunner_20130306_221435.jpg
New tank video:

So patty here's mine when I said u inspired me its still a work in progress but I'm getting better at it so thanks

Attachments

• image-1659900089.jpg
    image-1659900089.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 46
So patty here's mine when I said u inspired me its still a work in progress but I'm getting better at it so thanks

Looks awesome! Love the skull! I am glad that my thread inspired you! :D
That is what this forum does. It inspires and teaches us. I also learned a lot on here (especially the cycling part of our hobby).

I have been following your journey. It has inspired me to start a 29g planted. Sill working on cycling but ordered my lights and wood. N ext week I plan on getting some plants.

I have been following your journey. It has inspired me to start a 29g planted. Sill working on cycling but ordered my lights and wood. N ext week I plan on getting some plants.

Awesome! I so glad that I inspired you to start! Where are you getting you're plants from? LFS, 'Co/'Mart, or online?

Awesome! I so glad that I inspired you to start! Where are you getting you're plants from? LFS, 'Co/'Mart, or online?

I'm planning on getting them online. I'm not sure from where yet, still researching. I definitely want low light. I love your Xmas moss in cholla wood. I want to do that.

I'm planning on getting them online. I'm not sure from where yet, still researching. I definitely want low light. I love your Xmas moss in cholla wood. I want to do that.

I got the same exact package of cholla wood from this seller:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?decorations&1363781760
In other places you would get only 2 pieces for the same price you get 4 and free shipping.
All my plants I have gotten on online from Planted Aquariums Central:
http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/site/333380a8bae04fc9b82eaa3445ff2f32#2668
My fishes and red cherry shrimp I have gotten them from this place:
http://msjinkzd.com/
I found out about her in a different forum. She is a fellow aquarist.

Back
Top Bottom