20 Gallon Low Light Tank Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice plants! My parva doesn't stand upright like those.

Thank you! I'm hooked. I want more plants!
Went to feed the fish this morning. Completely ignored the food. To busy eating stuff off of wood, plants, and substrate.
My snails are really not moving. They are alive. Is this to be expected?

Sometimes snails take a while to adjust and other times they don't make it for some unknown (to me) reason. Check the temp but I doubt it's that. Sometimes shipping can make them act weird. I'm no snail expert, except for cooking them. jk

Sometimes snails take a while to adjust and other times they don't make it for some unknown (to me) reason. Check the temp but I doubt it's that. Sometimes shipping can make them act weird. I'm no snail expert, except for cooking them. jk

What is the optimal temp for snails? The pond snails are out and about.

PattyCakes81 said:
What is the optimal temp for snails? The pond snails are out and about.

I can't say the optimal temp but my tanks range from 75°-80°, just like nearly every fish shop, and the snails all do okay. I've read that they can be sensitive to changes in water hardness. Honestly, you may want to google the snails that are struggling to get more solid info. I'd like to be more helpful but snails are kinda out of my area of expertise. ;(

I can't say the optimal temp but my tanks range from 75°-80°, just like nearly every fish shop, and the snails all do okay. I've read that they can be sensitive to changes in water hardness. Honestly, you may want to google the snails that are struggling to get more solid info. I'd like to be more helpful but snails are kinda out of my area of expertise. ;(

Thank you! Just checked, the zebra and red spot nerite are moving around. Just got to keep my eye on Olive nerite

Mine did when I first got them. They were potted. Removed them from the pots and planted as is. Then removed them, separated into 13 individual plants and replanted them. They are less upright now.

I'm supposed to divide them more. Oh that's why they are standing at attention.

I'm supposed to divide them more. Oh that's why they are standing at attention.

They went from this
image-1708585449.jpg
to this
image-1326203144.jpg
After 2 weeks each plant produced a new leaf. The next two weeks things slowed down, some of the original leaves are starting to yellow a bit. However, I do see another new leaf forming on some of them. Fingers crossed.

They went from this

to this

After 2 weeks each plant produced a new leaf. The next two weeks things slowed down, some of the original leaves are starting to yellow a bit. However, I do see another new leaf forming on some of them. Fingers crossed.
I wish some luck for you and me. Tomorrow going to divide them more. Fingers crossed too!
Can you suggest I plant to place in the space between the Mopani woods?
ForumRunner_20130222_212413.jpg

I wish some luck for you and me. Tomorrow going to divide them more. Fingers crossed too!
Can you suggest I plant to place in the space between the Mopani woods?
Yes, that space would be fine. Take your time when dividing them; if some plants won't separate them leave them together. Mine were planted in rock wool. Some folks use tweezers for planting small plants, especially when planting them close together. Not sure how fast they grow but I'm not expecting a carpet anytime soon.
My other crypts (wendtii green and red) are doing great; shed (melted) the existing leaves in the first two weeks and each have sprouted a new leaf about once a week (planted about 4 weeks ago). Planted them in the front corner; should have planted them further back with something lower (c parva or dwarf sag) in front. Oh well.

Fresh2o said:
They went from this

to this

Those before and after pictures really made me feel better about my droopy pravas. Great post. Thank you for posting them. I guess they won't be perky until they get dense. It must just be a trait of this specific plant. It's weird! lol

Those before and after pictures really made me feel better about my droopy pravas. Great post. Thank you for posting them. I guess they won't be perky until they get dense. It must just be a trait of this specific plant. It's weird! lol

From what I can tell they are pretty slow growers. If they are going to do the traditional "crypt melt" they are sure taking their time. I did not plant them too deep; some of the roots have disintegrated and new ones have formed. And most of the original leaves are collecting algae. Not sure what I can do to help it along. I am going to have to be very patient if I want a carpet out of this. Not sure how they propagate. I don't think they send out runners; maybe they just expand and have shoots next to the parent plants. At least that is what my crypt wendtii are doing.
Patticakes - how is the moss doing?

From what I can tell they are pretty slow growers. If they are going to do the traditional "crypt melt" they are sure taking their time. I did not plant them too deep; some of the roots have disintegrated and new ones have formed. And most of the original leaves are collecting algae. Not sure what I can do to help it along. I am going to have to be very patient if I want a carpet out of this. Not sure how they propagate. I don't think they send out runners; maybe they just expand and have shoots next to the parent plants. At least that is what my crypt wendtii are doing.
Patticakes - how is the moss doing?

The moss its growing very slow! There is some growth.

Last edited:
Same here. They grow very slow but they are growing. After moving a few I noticed that the root system has a lot more growth than the actual leaves. I probably only get about one or two new plants a month but it took nearly three months to get the first new one. Maybe it just has to build up a large root system before it spreads. Some crypts are like that. They don't do anything for months then just take off. I guess the only winning strategy is to hit it with root tabs, let it dig in it's heels... and just wait.

Same here. They grow very slow but they are growing. After moving a few I noticed that the root system has a lot more growth than the actual leaves. I probably only get about one or two new plants a month but it took nearly three months to get the first new one. Maybe it just has to build up a large root system before it spreads. Some crypts are like that. They don't do anything for months then just take off. I guess the only winning strategy is to hit it with root tabs, let it dig in it's heels... and just wait.

I guess so too. I Thought My first crypt was going to melt into nothing. But it bounce back and it had more leaves than our started with!

Back
Top Bottom