20 gallon Q & A build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few weeks ago I watched some of Brookster123's videos and decided I needed a 4th tank that I could try and plant. My other tanks are all larger wet pet tanks and simple for me. So since I already had a stand I picked up a 20 aqueon tank and initially picked up some floramax but was quickly told by Gillie that it was junk. Lucky for me my daughter had a flat tire and I had to run out and hadn't opened it yet. So I returned it and got eco complete per Brookster's advice. The tank is up with nothing in it yet, I thought I could use some of the drift wood I have laying around but now realize it was all in 55 and 75 gallon tanks and wayyyy to large. So now im going to find some smaller stuff.
Tank as it sits now.
img_3161368_0_0b5d27592626d7bfb6ddc01c58017b97.jpg

I'm thinking some swords on the left with a small cave, something tall along the back and some kind of driftwood and rock pile on the right. Then fill in the front with something low growing.

Hooray!!! Get out the checkbook man!we gonna have some fun wooooo!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm picking up some swords and hard scape now. Going to keep it simple till I can order the light. Maybe some neons to keep the filters cycled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Neons are tough, buy twice as many as you plan on having in a couple months. I prefer cardinals as they seem a but more hardy. Harlequin rasboras are pretty cool. Pick up a bottle of flourish and api leaf zone. Some seachem flourish root tabs for the time being will keep.the sword happy until that substrate charges up.

Neons it is! I love a challenge

Neons it is! I love a challenge

It's just hit or miss with stock I'd guess?? they are said to be extremely tricky to breed yet they're $1 @ spetco half the time?? I have 2 of my original 6, well over a year old. One is huge! They are sweet little fish. Especially under blue moonlights, they flores like glo fish but without the guilt;)

It's just hit or miss with stock I'd guess?? they are said to be extremely tricky to breed yet they're $1 @ spetco half the time?? I have 2 of my original 6, well over a year old. One is huge! They are sweet little fish. Especially under blue moonlights, they flores like glo fish but without the guilt;)

I love a challenge! Cant believe I haven't tried an EBJD yet.
Should I use a pre filter sponge on the filters for plant debris and as far as maintenance on the eco complete Vac or no vac?
Here is where I'm so far. Don't look like much compared to yours.
img_3161512_0_df842e43e28b596de74e995dd3fad77c.jpg

I hate my prefilter sponges.. i use them on apisto tank to.protect fry, i actually took one off last week and just saw the cat batting it around.. she can have it, they're a pita to clean..
You like a challenge huh?? Hehe
Get a male gold ram and a female electric blue, keep them alive for 6 months!! Breed them and I'll send you a commemorative plaque.
Edit! Plants and stuff woooo

Cool on the pre filters! How about the eco complete? Do I vacuum weekly or just leave it?

Cool on the pre filters! How about the eco complete? Do I vacuum weekly or just leave it?

Don't vacuum, what's on there for filter?ac50? Flow becomes more important with plant choice. The fish poo will aid in substrate generation. Excess food and rotting plants would be best kept in check..

Ac 20 and ac 30. Sounds good. I should be done with questions till next pay day. Don't want to melt the credit cards. Thanks for all the assistance I appreciate it.

Following.

I think I have ~$500 worth of equipment, light, plants, fish, and other small things in my 29 gallon. Never thought it would be this much! Ask away, bug keep the cards away until payday ;)

Your tank looks alot better than mine when I added plants! Post #52 on my build has a picture...in my defense I was mid-cycle

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I added 9 neons yesterday and as expected lost 2 over night.
A quick vid

They actually look pretty healthy, fatten em up with some frozen spirulina brine shrimp.

One more was doing the death wiggle before I left for work. Expecting him to be dead when I get home.

What are your params? Are these the first fish in the tank? Also what is that netting thing on your heater?

What are your params? Are these the first fish in the tank? Also what is that netting thing on your heater?

Right now I'm 0,0,10 ph here is 8 always has been Probably same for you if you are on lake mich water. Filters were moved of 2 other tanks 3 years established. I run up to 4 filters on 2 of my wet pet tanks. The 11" Parachromis managuensis x Herichthys cyanoguttatus runs the trAtes from 5 to 40 in 5 days so the filters on his tank are well established with BB.
The heater is a marineland visitherm The netting looking thing is the company logo printed into the glass tube.

Following.

I think I have ~$500 worth of equipment, light, plants, fish, and other small things in my 29 gallon. Never thought it would be this much! Ask away, bug keep the cards away until payday ;)

Your tank looks alot better than mine when I added plants! Post #52 on my build has a picture...in my defense I was mid-cycle

Haven't read through your thread yet but the picture looks fine

Params look good. How did u acclimate the neons? Might be stress from a big pH change.

My pictures look good right now...when I started I wish I never posted it lol

I find it weird that you lost 2 and possibly a third. I got 21 from petsmart and have lost 1, during ich heat treatment.

I haven't tested my tap pH in a while but last time I checked it was in the mid 7's...i think

With the heater I never thought of it, but read on a thread here that with it vertical it can shut itself off. The heat rises up and heats up the thermostat and shuts it off. If you angle the heater this problem goes away.

Good luck with your neons

Back
Top Bottom