20 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!!

I'm looking for stocking advice for a 20 gallon freshwater tank I am currently fishless cycling. I'd like to get 4 black skirt tetras and 2 guppies. Other than that I am wide open except for the following thoughts:

- I'd like to avoid breeding
- I'd like a peaceful tank so prefer to not have too aggressive a species
- I don't want any goldfish

I like the looks of cichlids, but have heard they are quite aggressive. I also like Platy's and Mollies but don't want the babies. Would Cory Catfish work?

What do you recommend and how many of each??

Thanks!!

I'd be hesitant mixing black skirts and guppies in a 20G for fear of fin nipping

Is it a 20 gallon long, or tall? If it's a long, you can add more fish then in a tall.

If you do a 20 long, here is what you can do:
2 Male Guppies
2 Male Platies
6 Black Skirt Tetras (They can be nippy and a little agressive, so you want a larger school)
5 Cory Cat Fish of your choice :)

or

1 Honey Gourami
6 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Male Guppies
6 Cherry or Gold Barbs
1 Bolivian Ram Cichlid

Tell me what you think and I can give you more options :)

Don't get serpea tetra if you plan on getting fancy guppies. Mine nip my guppies fins. Makes me feel bad but I can't afford to regime the guppies or the serpae. I'd get a dwarf gourami if I were you. They can be so nice to watch

This is awesome!! Thanks!! It is a 20 tall. Does that change the recommendation much? Any advice on how to introduce them? I am also going to setup a quarantine tank for the ones not in the initial introduction to the tank.

It doesn't have as much floor space, but you'll probably be okay. Have you looked at hatchet fish? They are pretty cool and stay only at the very top of the tank.

Any advice on what to feed either of the broods listed above? I have basic Tetra fish flakes, but nothing else right now.

Back
Top Bottom