20 gl high stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reema

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some suggestions and advice on stocking my new 20 gl high cycled tank. I'm planning on a peaceful community tank and do have ideas of what fish are appropriate, but what I need is to know stocking numbers for each species (top, middle and bottom) as well as what to stay away from. My fishkepping experience is intermediate.
For filtration I'm using 2 pumps, since the one that came with the tank (Aqueon Quiet Flow E for 20 gl) has poor performance reviews for the size of the tank. In addition I'm using an Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 from my previous tank. I assume this should provide adequate filtration for reasonable stocking options. Substrate is Caribsea Eco Complete and tank has live plants with plans to add more.
Basically I'm looking for schooling fish, some bigger eye catchers and bottom dwellers, what goes well together and most importantly numbers based on size of tank and filtration capacity. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200229_080303.jpg
    20200229_080303.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 42
You should try to stay away from anything that is "too active". Most fish like a longer tank rather than a taller one but if you stick with smaller fish you can have a nice community.

Eyecatcher: I'd do either a single Betta or a pair of Honey gourami or single Dwarf gourami

Bottom dweller: Avoid any species of pleco, even the smaller bristlenose needs a 30 gallon tank. Try corydoras instead, You can do 4-6 of a regular size or 6-8 Pygmy corydoras (might be the better choice)

Schooling fish: Tetras are the most common that you will find in stores. Avoid deeper bodied tetras as they tend to be fin nippers. Cardinals, neons or black neons are all good choices. I had pristella tetras in mine and they have a great personality and with the duller colours will make your "eye catcher" fish stand out more.
Rasboras (if you can find them) are also known to be peaceful schooling fish. You could probably do 6-8 of any of these
Avoid tiger barbs as they get lager and are aggressive.

Thanks, I was thinking about gourami or german rams. Which would you recommend best ?
I'm not keen on betta, because I also like guppies and mollies and a betta would knock those two species out of consideration.

I've had a betta with mollies. They do fine, then again the tank was also 55g. That being said I wouldn't put mollies in anything less than 30g. I had some in a 20g and they were unhappy (that's why I upgraded to a 55g).
A gourami would also beat up on guppies.

I would probably decide on guppies, gourami or rams. You're right, mollies not for a 20 gl.
I'll either get guppies only and a school of something, or a pair of gourami or rams.

Go to the store and see what you like (and then research it). Guppies may be healthier from a local breeder than a store. Make sure you have a plan for the fry.

If I go for guppies, males only. I would try to find a breeder. It seems that fish store live stock is problematic. Had guppies before and a few always randomly died out of every group.

Back
Top Bottom