20 long stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats up to your personal preference, but IMO no. If you like them, then yes I think one would fit in your tank behaviorally, but I am not a fan of them because they seem to be much less healthy than normal mollies IMO. I do not have actual data to back that up, but I have never personally seen them live very long, especially compared to regular mollies purchased from the same tank. I hear about a lot of people having troubles with them. Again, just my experience and opinion. Not an actual scientific study. :)

I'm not going to get a balloon belly molly. Lol. I still need more fish though. What do you recommend?

If it was me, I would probably try glowlight danios (different species from GloFish). IMO, they could handle the temperatures rams prefer, school around on the upper portions of the tank, and stay small (1-1.5 in.) so they they have less bioload than some of the bigger, common schoolers.
You could probably do zebra danios if you wanted though. They live on the top too.

If it was me, I would probably try glowlight danios (different species from GloFish). IMO, they could handle the temperatures rams prefer, school around on the upper portions of the tank, and stay small (1-1.5 in.) so they they have less bioload than some of the bigger, common schoolers.
You could probably do zebra danios if you wanted though. They live on the top too.

I already have glow light tetras though, so i'm not so interested in them... but danios are definitely an option.

Glowlight tetras aren't really anything like glowlight danios (Danio choprai). But, its fine if you want something else. I just like these guys because you get danio behavior less biolaod.
I think the zebras would be ok though if you like them better, just stick to 6 IMO to avoid over-stocking.

Glowlight tetras aren't really anything like glowlight danios (Danio choprai). But, its fine if you want something else. I just like these guys because you get danio behavior less biolaod.
I think the zebras would be ok though if you like them better, just stick to 6 IMO to avoid over-stocking.

What about purple passion danios? Or leopards?

Purple passions get a little bigger than zebras, so I am not sure about that one. I tend to think they would be fine, but I am not positive. Leopards are just a color variant of zebras.

To clarify, I have seen purple passion danios get bigger than zebras, but I don't think they always do. I think they would be ok though.

Thats cool. Just remember what I said about potential conflict between cories and the rams in the future. ;)

Yeah... I had to move the tetras in with the rams in the QT because during my water change I accidentally filled the tank back up with super cold water, and they started freaking out. The rams were being very friendly, and even hung out with the tetras.

Thats good. :) If the rams never pair up, then IMO you are unlikely to have a problem ever. My rams aren't paired and they are fine with everybody. Sometimes, you do find a more aggressive ram, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, so thats good. :) But, if they do choose to pair, they will not like the cories in their space.

Thats good. :) If the rams never pair up, then IMO you are unlikely to have a problem ever. My rams aren't paired and they are fine with everybody. Sometimes, you do find a more aggressive ram, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, so thats good. :) But, if they do choose to pair, they will not like the cories in their space.
I think they are pairing up... they are still in QT. They follow each other around, and sometimes swim in circles. One never leaves the other's side.

I think I will get either ottos or some kind for danios next... If I have room for them...

I've been thinking... do you think I could have a school of 6 neon tetras, in addition to the 6 glowlight tetras?

Aww a ballon belly Molly! Just think of that ballon belly waddling across the tank curious yet oblivious to his swagger.

Space-wise, I think the neons would be fine. I think danios might be a better option because they school higher up in the tank while neons actually stay pretty low. The danios would make the tank look less bottom-heavy, but if you want neons, they would be ok too. :)
8 otos would be a bit much IMO in that space. Since they do not always eat wafers/veggies well, its good to not stock too many of them in any given tank so they can find a bunch of algae to eat on their own. I recommend you start out with a trio and see how well they do with wafers/veggies and then perhaps consider adding a few more. I also suggest waiting awhile to add them until after the tank is more established. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Space-wise, I think the neons would be fine. I think danios might be a better option because they school higher up in the tank while neons actually stay pretty low. The danios would make the tank look less bottom-heavy, but if you want neons, they would be ok too. :)
8 otos would be a bit much IMO in that space. Since they do not always eat wafers/veggies well, its good to not stock too many of them in any given tank so they can find a bunch of algae to eat on their own. I recommend you start out with a trio and see how well they do with wafers/veggies and then perhaps consider adding a few more. I also suggest waiting awhile to add them until after the tank is more established. :)
I am going to quarantine the rams until it's been a month, then I will add something... I don't really like danios as much as tetras, but they're still an option.

Thats fair. I am not a big fan of zebra danios, but I do like some of the smaller danio species.
IME, harlequin or espei rasboras tend to stay near the top. Hatchets do too. I don't like hatchets, but some people do. :)

Back
Top Bottom