20g long stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batmansocks117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a 20 gallon long and have been searching around trying to figure out what to stock it with. I know for sure there will be a school of 4 or 5 corydoras, and 5 kuhli loaches because I need to get them out of my 10 and want to expand their numbers.

My boyfriend is really into glass catfish, so I want to get a school of those as well. However I've read some sites that say they get to be like 6 inches long and need to be in bigger tanks, then other sites say they stay a couple of inches and will be okay in a 20. Anyone have any experience with them? And if its better that I don't get them, does anyone have any suggestions as to a similar looking fish I can get?

I attached a photo of what I've been toying with. There will be only 1 female betta though, and I've been thinking about getting either galaxy or chili rasboras instead of the rummynose tetras. I also want to get a couple bamboo shrimp once the tank is older. Does the stocking level look good? Anything I should take out or add in? =)

As a side note the tank is pretty well planted and will have plenty of hiding spots. I've also been trying to stick with a pirate, sunken ship theme, so if anyone has any ideas of fish that would kind of fit into that I would appreciate the input. =)

Attachments

• image-3013415278.jpg
    image-3013415278.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 62
Take those Bettas out, a sorority needs at least five girls. People have done it with less, but trust me, even with ten I had shredded fins and flesh wounds. With four, you'll get dead fish. It's not worth the risk, and you can find many other types of fish in their place :) Just one girl would work, though. And with that high of stocking, I suggest double filtration and twice weekly water changes with at least one gravel vac.

Yea, I said in my original post I am sticking with one female betta. She's already in there and came from my 10 gallon community and I haven't had any aggression issues from her at all. =) I did some research into sororities and decided I didn't want to do it.

I also have a filter rated for a 30 gallon on there now, and plan on doing weekly water changes. =)

Perfect! Glad to hear! Sororities are amazing if you know what's going on (you'll learn fast if you don't ;) ) but can also be a pain in the butt. One girl is great, they're so friendly and great with other fish :)

Awesome, sounds like it's all going to work fine!

I also did some quick research on glass catfish, and I couldn't find anything that said they went over four inches :) One said max four inches, another said 2.5, so I think you're safe there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom