20g Long w/ 24w T5HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The 40g breeder is too big for the space I have. I returned it and now have a 20g Long with a fixture using a 24w T5HO 6700 and a 24w Anatic bulb. I have some crypts, red wendtii, red melon sword which are all growing lime made under a 24w CFL.

My 10g is too small my 3 1.5 inch swordtails and at least 10 babies, with one Nerite snail, and maybe 10 CRS shrimp.

I plan to move all fish into the 20g and plant take the plants from my 10g and split them, half into the 10g and half for the 20g.

I just bought 100 lbs of Quikrete Industrial Medium Sand to put 3" of substrate.

I will cycle with a Aquaclear 30 from my 10g. I have a new Aquaclear 50 which I will set up to run at the same time.

I rinse, rinse, rinse tomorrow.

Any problems you can see I might have or advice?

You might run into algae issues because of the lighting, but that's about it. It really depends on how high they are above the substrate. The actinic bulbs really aren't the best for plants, but they won't hurt them. I've read that plants can still use the light in the actinic range it's just more difficult for them to do it, not sure how true that is lol.

I am using the actinic bulb so I limit how much light I am putting in the tank. The fixture will set about 4 inches above the water.

That's only about 16" above the substrate. I'd keep an eye out for algae issues, if any show up, then compensate by either raising the light higher, adding co2/fert routine, or cutting one light off.

It could work though as-is, just keep an eye on it and catch any potential issue before it gets out of control.

That's only about 16" above the substrate. I'd keep an eye out for algae issues, if any show up, then compensate by either raising the light higher, adding co2/fert routine, or cutting one light off.

It could work though as-is, just keep an eye on it and catch any potential issue before it gets out of control.

Thanks, will do. I use Excel, Flourish, and Fe. I wouldn't mind some algae since I have shrimp and a Nerite plus assorted snails 8^)...

I also plan to plant heavily with med to low light plants, not many stem plants though.

Okay, rinsed the sand, put down 3 inches of the stuff (pictures tonight), filled 3/4 with water and letting it set for a while. I love the look of white sand.

If algae do grow, your RCS will probably eat/clean them up for u. XD

Thanks, they have a pretty good job so far in my 10g. It is amazing how fast they grow! When I dumped them in, 10 Yellow Cherry Shrimp and 3 Red Cherry Shrimp, I thought I lost all of them but the 3 of the biggest (maaybe 1/2 inch) but now I see at least 7 and three are nearing the one inch mark.

IMo there is no need to run an actinic bulb. I run a 2x 24w Current USA T5HO fixture on my 20 gallon high tank with no issues. The tank is 24x12x16 and the fixture sits right on the top of the tank, so same height (16") as what your fixture is.

Daylight and plant bulbs are usually "full spectrum," which means they contain all the different colors of light in the light spectrum. Plants need the red, orange and yellow colors found in the lower end of the light spectrum in order to grow. Actinics usually have only blue or sometimes blue and white light.

I guess I was worried I would too much light, 48watts of T5HGO over a 20g Long. At this time, I do not want to infuse CO2. I already fert and have root tabs.

Be careful what you wish for. There are several factors in play but I can tell you from experience that a dual t5ho setup sitting over a 20L(or a 20H even) is a very potent algae farm in the making. Just keep a close eye on it and be prepared to act accordingly before it gets out of hand. It might work for some situations and some people's setups but as a general rule it is not something I would try doing unless you are planning to go really high tech. (e.i. dosing and pressurized co2)

That is what I orginally was worried about. 2.4 watts/g of CFL is probably lower than 2.4 w/g of T5H0. I want to grow medium light plants at the most without C02 but am willing to fertilize.

if you have the ability to run just a single bulb over a dual bulb then it will make a huge difference in your control over the light intensity, or if you can raise the fixture up several inches if necessary.

if you have the ability to run just a single bulb over a dual bulb then it will make a huge difference in your control over the light intensity, or if you can raise the fixture up several inches if necessary.

I have a Antinic bulb to put into that fixture so I would only have one T5H0 bulb putting light into the tank. On 24w 6700 and one Antinic bulb.

That is what I orginally was worried about. 2.4 watts/g of CFL is probably lower than 2.4 w/g of T5H0. I want to grow medium light plants at the most without C02 but am willing to fertilize.

IMO 2 wpg T5 lighting is still just med-high light. Not quite into the high-light, must-have-Co2 range yet. I do agree with the need for monitoring the tank, but honestly I think that would be a given for most heavily planted tanks.

I have a Antinic bulb to put into that fixture so I would only have one T5H0 bulb putting light into the tank. On 24w 6700 and one Antinic bulb.
Actinic bulbs are out of the range of the desired light range for plants but I really believe they can still use the light, just not as easily. As to how accurate that is or not, I don't really know. I've got a bowfront that blew a PC bulb and was stuck with an actinic only bulb for several weeks and the plants were all still alive and well at the end of it, so in that experience it worked out for me. I'm not really educated in the technical aspects of photosynthesis so, so take that with a grain of salt.

IMO 2 wpg T5 lighting is still just med-high light. Not quite into the high-light, must-have-Co2 range yet. I do agree with the need for monitoring the tank, but honestly I think that would be a given for most heavily planted tanks.

imo, WPG is no longer an accurate measurement past t-12 bulb technology. Especially considering the light output of t5ho over t12/t8 or even t5no.
I just suggest @ the op to keep doing research, hit a few of the planted tank forums and poke around to get more opinions before you start investing time and effort so you really know what you are getting into.

Back
Top Bottom