20g Tank Newbie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CR7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum, although I have collected lots of great information by reading previous posts here. This is my first aquarium and I was wondering about when I can get fish and what fish I should get. Right now I have 1 red tail shark and 1 pleco in the tank after an outbreak of ick that killed 3 swordtails and my angelicus catfish :angel:. The ick is shedding off of my shark right now and there are only a couple white spots left on his fins. I used coppersafe to fight the ick. I was wondering when I can start adding fish again, and also which fish would be good in my tank. My tank is a standard 20g, with driftwood rocks and shells. My nitrite, ammonia, and ph levels are all very good.

Welcome, and IMHO you should wait maybe 2 weeks till after the ick is gone. Wouldnt want to run the risk of it popping back up on your new fish.

Welcome, and IMHO you should wait maybe 2 weeks till after the ick is gone. Wouldnt want to run the risk of it popping back up on your new fish.
But when I do get fish what kind should I consider getting?

But when I do get fish what kind should I consider getting?

I established my 10 gallon with platies (very hardy) and I established my 30 gallon with cory cats (very hardy). Some tetras are pretty hardy too!

CR7 said:
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum, although I have collected lots of great information by reading previous posts here. This is my first aquarium and I was wondering about when I can get fish and what fish I should get. Right now I have 1 red tail shark and 1 pleco in the tank after an outbreak of ick that killed 3 swordtails and my angelicus catfish :angel:. The ick is shedding off of my shark right now and there are only a couple white spots left on his fins. I used coppersafe to fight the ick. I was wondering when I can start adding fish again, and also which fish would be good in my tank. My tank is a standard 20g, with driftwood rocks and shells. My nitrite, ammonia, and ph levels are all very good.

Before you get new fish you need to rehome the two you already have as neither are appropriate for this tank

Before you get new fish you need to rehome the two you already have as neither are appropriate for this tank

Agreed. The shark alone needs 55 gals at least. If it's a common pleco, they get way too large for most aquariums and would need a 125+ gal tank.

You're way overstocked now, so either return/rehome those fish and start over or get a larger tank ASAP.

Also how new is the tank? Is it cycled? Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? What's your water change schedule?

Back
Top Bottom