210g HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes that's true but 9 times out of 10 a lfs isn't gonna have the assortment that really should go in a tank. Online stores benefit from having a wider selection of cichlids while lfs have what sells the faster.

Sorry if I'm just way off beat here but you're contemplating putting apistogramma agassizi in with African rift lake cichlids?

Sorry if I'm just way off beat here but you're contemplating putting apistogramma agassizi in with African rift lake cichlids?

I wont do anything without research but I was thinking so. Ive only been at this a little over a week. Total noob. I take it that wont be good.

Yeah even if they don't get extremely bullied they'd be outcompeted for food IMO. Apistos are very shy and timid, in a tank full of boisterous Africans they probably wouldn't stand a chance. I didn't mean to come off as offensive, sorry if I did :(

I think I completely missed that as well. Yes that's not a good idea. judging by your stock list them I'm gonna say it's safe to assume your gonna have a dwarf mbuna tank.

Yea I think so. Still have time to decide. Have to cycle. That will take a bit. I for sure want mbuna.

You can always buy from club members. Almost all (if not all clubs) are getting ready for spring auctions. Its a good way to gather up nice fish.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So far ive came up with these to start with. They dont look the same so no crossbreeding I hope. Was thinking 8-10 of each. Does anyone see problems with them? Any suggestions on others I could put with them?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't look close at the list you made but 8-10 of each when they become adults are going to be to many. You need to try and stay in the 30's. If your going to get bigger fish than 5-6" than that numbers going to change. I hope you wouldn't throw 70 Mbuna as recommended on your other thread into your tank.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It won't be a dwarf mbuna tank with the Pseudo Acei in there. One of the advantages of a 210 is you have a lot of space. With that space, and sufficient rock work, you can often get away with keeping quite a few species. I'd take some time to look through the peacocks and the haps as well, you might decide you want to go a different direction. For a beginner, I don't recommend mixing the three types, but a peacock or hap only tank can be pretty cool as well. Single sex only is difficult, as it requires you to buy a lot of juveniles and remove females as the fish reach sexual maturity.

*Edit* I guess I need some clarification. Are we talking about a 55 or a 210 gallon tank here? That makes a huge difference in stocking numbers.

Last edited:
Im stocking a 210g. I inherited a 55g with a jaguar, a red zebra, a jack dempsey, some type of mbuna, and a peacock. Dont know what kind last 2 are for sure. Mbuna is black with horizontal white stripes. Peacock is bluish with bands. Peacock is very pale I think because jaguar is the dominant guy in tank.

I'd for sure lose the jag and probably the jack. Then stock it with mbuna

Those guys have lived together for 3 years probably not gonna do anything with them. The jag is way cool. The meanest fish in the tank is the little black and white mbuna.

Maybe consider moving the jack and jag to the 210 and adding to it and making the 55 African? Jag and jag won't live together in a 55 for too long. Jag will want the entire tank for himself. Maybe a chance of it if they've grown together but doubtful. 55 is too small for a single jag really, let alone tank mates. What are your thoughts?

How big are they? Have pics of the tank and fish?

Heres 4 of the fish in 55g. Jag is 9-10" rest are 4-6"

Attachments

• 1395419523550.jpg
    1395419523550.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 1395419543426.jpg
    1395419543426.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 1395419566289.jpg
    1395419566289.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1395419586256.jpg
    1395419586256.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 57
Heres 55g tank

Attachments

• 1395419708532.jpg
    1395419708532.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 54
The jag is actually pretty chill. When I feed them I have to lure smaller fish away from him and drop food right above him or the little one steal all the food.

Can I overfilter my 55g? I hooked one of my cf500 up to it to get bio for my 210. Seemed like the right thing to do but now that its going im not sure.

Back
Top Bottom