220g planted-newly rescaped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rivercats said:
Did you get the regular of the mini one? I saw some pic's of the two together but honestly don't know which one I have. It looks like the mini but when it starts growing really big areas of it that cascade over the sides of the DW the fronds/leaves get larger in size. But people keep talking that there is actually two sizes.

I don't know yet, lol. The pic makes it look large. I'll post a pic when I get it.

Thanks! The red/pinks are as intense as usual since they are really just getting going from my last trimming. In a week or two they will have much more color. I'm still trying to work out how long it takes from when I trim them to how long it takes for new growth to start and fully color up again.

Anyway the plant midground in the back is Rotala Macrandra, which the new growth is just pinking up and will actually turn a darker pinkish red. Then to the left is Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'. There is also Rotala Wallichii to the left in front of the Macrandra that gets a nice pink to it. The new growth starts slightly turning pink after trimming then once it gets going good turns to a an actually bright almost hot pink. It is one of my favorites for intense color. There is also Rotala Wallichii to the left in front of the Macrandra that gets a nice pink to it. I had to trim it about 4 days before the pic's so you can't see it but you can in the original pic's in the beginning of the post.

I just wish I could figure out how to take pic's to show the true colors when those halides are on. The halides make the plants have a terrible glare that are in the direct light path and wash out some of the other colors that are close to the light. I tried taking pic's with just the T5HO's on but the colors don't look right that way. I don't know why I can't capture the exact colors of the plants... guess I need to take a couple photography classes!

On my camera i have an aqaurium option on my scenes,i actually.forgot about it as i use my phone,ill have to have a go with that lol but i don't have them halides like

The camera is alittle older as it was my daughters so I might have to bite the bullet and get a new one soon.

The camera is alittle older as it was my daughters so I might have to bite the bullet and get a new one soon.

I take it you weren't happy with the shots. Did you look at them on the CPU? I have learned that my digital display on the camera is pretty awful for reviewing. So I'll was up load the ones I think I like to the CPU for a once over.

I take it you weren't happy with the shots. Did you look at them on the CPU? I have learned that my digital display on the camera is pretty awful for reviewing. So I'll was up load the ones I think I like to the CPU for a once over.

Okay Phish you just went right over my head... one thing I'm not is very savvy with electronic equipment including computers! No I wasn't thrilled with them but I also didn't take them. My one adult daughter insisted on doing it so the only thing I actually did was post them. I am hoping to do it myself when the tank is finally grown in.

Stunning as always. You can feel free to pass along aquascaping tips to me anytime ;).

I've used the camera and my daughters phone and it is getting frustrating! I see so many nice tank pic's and then mine turn out like "get out your sunglasses so the glare doesn't hurt your eyes" :banghead:

I'd consider investing in a photo program. Its amazing what a difference just adjusting the lighting to a natural level can make.

Stunning as always. You can feel free to pass along aquascaping tips to me anytime ;).

I'd consider investing in a photo program. Its amazing what a difference just adjusting the lighting to a natural level can make.

Thanks, just alittle more filling in and it's gonna be great! Just hope I don't get bored then.

Never even considered a photo program since those halides are not my friends when taking pic's. Plus the plant colors don't show true either. Thanks for the idea!

Here's one of my favorite recent shots, it's actually the closest to what the true colors are. The yellow plant in the middle is a new addition, it's Proserpinaca palustris which came in it's green emmersed form (put it in about 3 weeks ago). The leaves are still changing and will get more serated and the new growth is coming in yellow and beginning to change into its final orangish color under high light. Also the Rotala Macrandra in the top right and is light pink turns a much deeper pinkish red the closer to the light it gets. You can also just see the dark yellow Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden' cuttings peeking up from the hole. Just put them in a couple weeks ago and they are slow growers, at least in my tank.

Attachments

• Close up 4.jpg
    Close up 4.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 152
It's beautiful! Tell me, is that the limnophila hippuroides behind the proserpinaca Palustris? Yours looks beautiful and full, mine are just little stems..how can I get mine to look like that?

Those are newly planted stems not fully colored up yet, the one stem on the right you can see is beginning to get full color. They normally have the top 4-5 inches colored bright pink when left to grow without being trimmed (and I trim on a fairly regular basis). The plant is slow to acclimate in a new tank. Your's hasn't been in long at all. It could take 2-4 months to really get to the point it takes off. Some plants are like that. I've been trying to get the Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden' established for months now. First it had to change from its emmersed form to it's immersed form which took forever. And then I cut their tops off and replanted them numerous times before I have finally started getting good growth. Its taken me a year to get this tank the way I want it so you can't expect yours to get like that in a month or two. Patience is the name of the game with planted tanks.

Oh my, yeah mine has only been running for about 2 months now. Oh, I have been looking for a cool midground plant to go behind my slate structure where it's completely bare ... You won't be able to see it much so I want something that would stand out and grow about a foot tall, not too tall because it would be in front of the corkscrew vals. Any ideas? Preferably flowering or something of the sort

Thanks! The red/pinks are as intense as usual since they are really just getting going from my last trimming. In a week or two they will have much more color. I'm still trying to work out how long it takes from when I trim them to how long it takes for new growth to start and fully color up again.

Anyway the plant midground in the back is Rotala Macrandra, which the new growth is just pinking up and will actually turn a darker pinkish red. Then to the left is Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'. There is also Rotala Wallichii to the left in front of the Macrandra that gets a nice pink to it. The new growth starts slightly turning pink after trimming then once it gets going good turns to a an actually bright almost hot pink. It is one of my favorites for intense color. There is also Rotala Wallichii to the left in front of the Macrandra that gets a nice pink to it. I had to trim it about 4 days before the pic's so you can't see it but you can in the original pic's in the beginning of the post.

I just wish I could figure out how to take pic's to show the true colors when those halides are on. The halides make the plants have a terrible glare that are in the direct light path and wash out some of the other colors that are close to the light. I tried taking pic's with just the T5HO's on but the colors don't look right that way. I don't know why I can't capture the exact colors of the plants... guess I need to take a couple photography classes!

Thank you so much- I've seen them maroon tipped at my moms but she couldn't remember what it was. I gotta order a bunch of 3 for my planted back corner.... That is after I upgrade my lighting. I'm thinking t5 or LED.

Oh my, yeah mine has only been running for about 2 months now. Oh, I have been looking for a cool midground plant to go behind my slate structure where it's completely bare ... You won't be able to see it much so I want something that would stand out and grow about a foot tall, not too tall because it would be in front of the corkscrew vals. Any ideas? Preferably flowering or something of the sort

You can use any stem plant and keep it trimmed to the height you want. Look at the area you want it, see what type leaves are on the plants around it and then look for a plant with a different type of leaf shape. As for flowering... very few plant actually flower underwater. The Cabomba Furcata I have does but flowers only last a day or two and it doesn't flower often. Plus if Cabomba doesn't like your tank conditions it can drop leaves like you wouldn't believe and can be quite messy.

Okay Phish you just went right over my head... one thing I'm not is very savvy with electronic equipment including computers! No I wasn't thrilled with them but I also didn't take them. My one adult daughter insisted on doing it so the only thing I actually did was post them. I am hoping to do it myself when the tank is finally grown in.

Lol got ya!

Wow! This is really gorgeous! There's so much to catch the eye. Makes me want to run out and buy a bigger tank...LOL!

Wow! This is really gorgeous! There's so much to catch the eye. Makes me want to run out and buy a bigger tank...LOL!

Thanks! Big tanks are actually easier but a bear in cost when buying plants!!! Actually alot of those stem plants started out with 6 to maybe 10 stems and I just kept letting them grow, then cutting them down by half and replanting those tops. You'd be amazed how easy it is to fill a tank that way.

Happy New Year! What a way to start off with "Tank of the Month" Rivercats!!! Congrats... your tank deserves to be showcased :)

Back
Top Bottom