24hr photoperiod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i have a refuge thats on a 24hr photeperiod for my chaetamorpha....the chaet is growing well but ive added a live minnows in the fuge for my grouper...i am hoping they will breed but now that i have livestock in the tank, should i go for a normal photoperiod (12hrs). thanks

I would advise it even for just the chaet. I would suggest a revese photo period so when the tank lights are off the fuge lights are on

fishfreek said:
I would advise it even for just the chaet. I would suggest a revese photo period so when the tank lights are off the fuge lights are on

out of curiousity... why do people recommend doing that? in what way is it beneficial?

tcarola154 said:
out of curiousity... why do people recommend doing that? in what way is it beneficial?

Two reasons. One it allows the pH to remain stable 24hrs a day. During the night (lights out) pH typically falls off, while in the day time (lights on)the pH typically increases. This has to due mainly with algae consuming CO2 during the day with causes an increase in pH. By having it so that the fuge is lit when the tank is not, you decrease the pH swing in the tank.

Second reason to keep the fuge lit continuously is that many macro algae like to go sexual. What this means is that if one is not careful, it is possible to have a macroalgae bloom and end up with the stuff everywhere. Keeping the lights on the macro 24/7 typically will prevent a bloom from happening.

i heard chaeto doesnt go sexual, is this true?

Back
Top Bottom