250 gallon stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddot82

Aquarium Advice Regular
250 gallon stocking options with jaguar cichlid

I was remodeling a kitchen today and it turns out the homeowner used to own a lfs. He has a 250 gallon tank and was thinking about getting something smaller, i have a 90 and want something bigger. So we may trade. He also has a 40 gal sump he said i could have.

I want something a little larger and predatory so i was thinking about a Jaguar cichlid, beautiful fish that seems to meet what i want. I was wondering what would be the best tank mates for it? In my 90 i have 2 ebjd's and a gold saum. All are about 3-4 inches in length. I also have a featherfin cat thats 6-7 inches. I like them and would love to keep them but i understand if they aren't compatible with the a Jag. In the unfortunate event that i have to let them go they will go with my 90 gallon since the guy wants them as well.

I googled it and got answers ranging from other large south american's, which is fine, to nothing smaller than the jaguar, which really limits my options. Any help would be appreciated. I'm still in the early stages and am not set on a jaguar completely. I want something sleek and powerful, beautiful, large, and that can be housed with another fish of similar size and aggression. Such as a jaguar and a wolf cichlid(no idea if they're compatible i just used the wolf as an example).

I will hopefully be running 2 2262's or 2 fx6's for filtration. I want the 2262's but may go with the fx6's because of the price difference and since i already have one for my 90. If i do end up getting the 2262's i'll keep the fx6 i already have as a back up or will use it for more filtration if necessary. If i need more i'll get more, filtration won't be an issue. Right now i'm just trying to figure out what fish i want in the tank and then i can build the rest to fit them. Thanks in advance!

I would repost this in the cichlid section. You will get more responses.

A flower horn MIGHT work due to there monster size and aggressiveness. Another option is a True green terror BEAUTIFUL fish! For an bottom dweller a bichir might. Work. A BIG one like an ornate!

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco
With live plants in the tank

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

If you want an aggressive cichlid I'd go with the jaguar cichlid. If it was my tank, I would get a huge school of bucktooth tetras. They don't get huge but they are incredibly aggressive. I've heard stories of them attacking piranha, large cichlids, and other fish much larger than themselves.

Back
Top Bottom