25g planted aquarium stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a heavily planted 25 gallon aquarium. I was thinking a cool stock would be to have a couple of guppies 6 maybe? A school of 14ish neon tetras, a pair of apistos or kribs if I can get my hands on them and my african brown knife. Would this be too much or would the pair just kill everything when breeding?

Kribs aren't much of community fish especially once they start breeding they will terrorize everyone in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Guppies will probably breed like crazy unless you stick to all male or all female. Even then some females might be pregnant when you get them

Yes guppies probably would but in a community most fry would be culled by the other fish as they would in the wild. Survival of the fittest really, if you're planning on a heavily planted.

That's true. Even in a guppy only tank most will get eaten. Lots of plants will up survival rate too. Just something to think about for the future though- you could find yourself overrun with them. :)

Then he could feed them to a turtle or something XDD Never ending food source amirite?

Yes haha you could my cherry barbs seem to be the best at cleaning up any fry.

Yeah. We have a small all guppy tank that when it gets too populated some of the fry make a journey to our big 55 gallon tank with some more aggressive fish :) it's a treat for the big guys

I think it would be kind of cool the knife fish might actually show it's predatory side

Looks nice... The tannin really complements the neons. Btw you might get them to spawn! ;)

If you can find them cardinal tetras are awesome. They tend to be brighter than neons because their red goes all the way down their belly. Around here they are kinda hard to find

I love ours. I swear by them over neons :)
Not to say neons are bad but I tend to have much better luck and love the extra color

No knife fish in a 25 gallon tank. Sorry. Everything else seems fine. Instead of kribs apistos or rams might do better.

Back
Top Bottom