29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you still have that Trident Java Fern that I sent you a long time ago? I was just interested in seeing how it was doing.

Do you still have that Trident Java Fern that I sent you a long time ago? I was just interested in seeing how it was doing.
I do have it. It's in a different tank. That tank crashed a couple of weeks ago, and I trimmed all of the java ferns back to rhizomes because it was really overgrown.

I added Thrive, and every single mystery snail immediately went to the surface. So I'm doing a big water change. I had never seen such a strong reaction, but I'll never put Thrive in this tank again.

Wow! What is in it?

Per their web site:

1 x 2mL pump per 10g will add 7ppm NO3, 1.3ppm PO4, 5ppm K, and 0.25ppm Fe

Analysis: N 3%, P 0.8%, K 9.4%, Fe 0.47%, Mg 0.062%, Cu 0.009%, B 0.023%, Co, 0.0002%, Mn 0.06%, Mo 0.0018%, Zn 0.016%

Not being a snail guru, I've no idea how this would affect invertebrates. I do note a trace bit of copper, though.

I think me and Nirb Had this discussion I while back. I am probably off base but there is quite a lot of boron in thrive. It either comes from borax or boric acid both of which are used to target slugs, snails cockroaches and other 'pests' commercially. The amounts in thrive are probably way below what is used for this application but I'm still wary of thrive for that reason. Maybe possible accumulation?

I did this comparison spreadsheet a while back. This is all the micro Fertilisers on rotala butterfly calculator and what each would deliver at 10ml per 100l.

Now this does not take in to account the actual dosing instructions for each one (a job for another day) BUT this gives you some comparison data of which has higher ratios of each element per bottle. As you can see thrive stands out remarkably when it comes to boron.

IMG_2854.jpg

Having said all of this. The boron and snail response connection may be well off target so bare that in mind.

When we had that conversation, I did some research that terrestrial and aquatic snails respond to boron differently. It's not worth it, though. Whatever it is, they don't like Thrive, so I'm done with it.

When we had that conversation, I did some research that terrestrial and aquatic snails respond to boron differently. It's not worth it, though. Whatever it is, they don't like Thrive, so I'm done with it.

That's right yeah. I couldn't remember what the outcome was. You do have to wonder why the thrive for shrimp has significantly less boron and everything else. They obviously thought reducing the boron content for shrimp is necessary so.....I dunno.

There must be some tasty something near it. Lol

Vanilla does not like technology.
He actually took it and some of the containers holding emmersed plants down.
Kuhlis are amazing, i have a dragon in my tank which is hollow and there is a hole in the bottom, so they burrow under it and when they come out, they go out the mouth and it looks like a bunch of tongues.
That sounds awesome.

You know what? Guppies suck.

The whole reason we have fish at all is because our daughter fell in love with Sunny. I know pets die, and I know she has to practice mourning, but jeez can a kid have a break?

The topple popple and I went to my parents' house on Thursday. The spouse came over to get us today. We got home close to 10, so she's in bed.

I looked at the tank, and it looked like Sunny's face was falling off. I don't know what happened, but her gill turned inside out or something. I euthanized her, and now I'm dreading the morning when my little person learns about Sunny's demise.

Back
Top Bottom