29 gallon aquarium stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want something that you can interact with then a skunk cleaner shrimp is without a doubt your best bet. They will happily crawl over your hands and pick at them. However the other fish you want don't fit in with that type of mentality.

Any eels are voracious eaters and will attack people (mmmm finger worms). Lionfish are poisonous and will sting people. Not to mention the eels, lionfish, and puffer will eat any inverts.

Lions are venemous not poisonous lol. Sorry that is just one of those things that irks me. But yes the point is not to do a lion.

At all no lion just because it's poisonous I think I could handle it not to be rude of anything you know I just did a lot of research about them and know what to do if the unlikely case it happens that I get stung I'm just trying to find a really exotic fish besides a blenny, clown, or most gobies I like exotics so if there is anything that is awesome and can go with any fish and inverts or even if it is slightly dangerous I'd still like to find out what they are I thank you all for the support so... any ideas????

I always gave my lions their own tank or just another of their kind.
Have to even be careful with aggressive fish. They tend to pick at lions fancy fins. They are a gentle predator.
Much like freshwater bettas that get beat up by neons.

So if I did a fuzzy dwarf, a maroon yellow striped clown, valentini puffer, an anthia, and maybe some snails will that be ok

Lions are venemous not poisonous lol. Sorry that is just one of those things that irks me. But yes the point is not to do a lion.

Semantics :p

At all no lion just because it's poisonous I think I could handle it not to be rude of anything you know I just did a lot of research about them and know what to do if the unlikely case it happens that I get stung I'm just trying to find a really exotic fish besides a blenny, clown, or most gobies I like exotics so if there is anything that is awesome and can go with any fish and inverts or even if it is slightly dangerous I'd still like to find out what they are I thank you all for the support so... any ideas????

So some crazy or strange looking fish..

Matted Filefish - Eats small inverts

Angler - Eats small inverts and fish

Mandarin - You will absolutely need a large healthy growing culture of copepods if you want to keep one.

Blue Dot Jawfish - Expensive and needs a 4" or deeper sandbed. Also escape artists.

Leaf Fish - Has poison glands and eats small shrimp and fish

Banded Possum Wrasse - Small but all around a good fish

If you are looking for inverts:

Arrow Crab

Spider Decorator crab

Reef Lobster

Banded Coral Shrimp

What about a wasp fish if so where in the world can I find one for sale

The more exotic fish tend to need bigger tanks unfortunately. I myself like the odd and not seen often fish. I have a squirrel fish and a coral hogfish in my 90g fowlr as well as several wrasses. I even went with a blue eyed tang to be a little different in that tank. :)

I like the possum wrasse mentioned, you dont see many of those around usually. Another neat little fish is a chalk bass, pretty colorful, friendly and small enough for your tank. Or a falco hawkfish, I have one and they are pretty neat too.
Anthias typically need a much larger tank as well, I have kept square backed anthias before as they are unique and very colorful but they were in a 6 foot tank so they are out fo the question for a 29g.
You guys are all picking aggressive fish and several of them at that, in a 29g tank that just isnt going to work. Not being a negative nancy or anything, but to add more than one aggressive fish to a small tank is just asking for territory issues. You said you dont mind getting stung by a lionfish, somehow I doubt you will have that attitude if you do get stung, I hear it hurts quite a bit. I'm not against venonous fish, it took me several years to get up enough courage to get one, a rabbitfish, and I am still on the worried side about getting stung even though i am very careful.

The more exotic fish tend to need bigger tanks unfortunately. I myself like the odd and not seen often fish. I have a squirrel fish and a coral hogfish in my 90g fowlr as well as several wrasses. I even went with a blue eyed tang to be a little different in that tank. :)

I like the possum wrasse mentioned, you dont see many of those around usually. Another neat little fish is a chalk bass, pretty colorful, friendly and small enough for your tank. Or a falco hawkfish, I have one and they are pretty neat too.
Anthias typically need a much larger tank as well, I have kept square backed anthias before as they are unique and very colorful but they were in a 6 foot tank so they are out fo the question for a 29g.
You guys are all picking aggressive fish and several of them at that, in a 29g tank that just isnt going to work. Not being a negative nancy or anything, but to add more than one aggressive fish to a small tank is just asking for territory issues. You said you dont mind getting stung by a lionfish, somehow I doubt you will have that attitude if you do get stung, I hear it hurts quite a bit. I'm not against venonous fish, it took me several years to get up enough courage to get one, a rabbitfish, and I am still on the worried side about getting stung even though i am very careful.

My friends hand swelled up horribly when he got tagged by a volitan cleaning glass at the lfs. It was really bad and he said it hurt like hell.

Thanks a lot and I meen a lot of places say fuzzy lions are pretty easy and laid back toward tankmates so overall I think I will give that a shot and maybe just have less fish with it

I never said I didn't care that it stung me I seriously never said that I said that i am prepared for it if it was to happen for me to say that I don't care is stupid ESPECIALLY with a venomous fish which need extra precautions

I've been stung 2 times by a lion. Can confirm hurts like hell, but both times I'm 99.99999% sure he didn't mean it, my radiata lionfish was super friendly and would follow my hand where ever I was cleaning. Which meant I got stung.

Again I never said that I didn't care if I got stung I said I am prepared and know what to do incase the situation were ever to happen the lionfish needs a level of respect and I plan to give that to him

If you do a lion in a 29 I'd think it'd have to be the only fish, unless you have ridiculous amounts of filtration.

Found something cool a shadow goby looks similar to a shark anybody have experience with them

If you plan on getting any fish that could potentially eat other I wouldn't get one. They are poisonous

Ok well all the other fish are peaceful unless they are poorly fed so do you know where I can get one because I'd prefer a fish that wouldn't eat my other fish haha

Ok well all the other fish are peaceful unless they are poorly fed so do you know where I can get one because I'd prefer a fish that wouldn't eat my other fish haha

Hehe I haven't got the slightest clue where you could find one. With a lot of google searching you might be able to find a fish supplier from that area. I managed to find one that operates out of florida to get some local species from there.

Really what's the website or did you already give me that one haha

Back
Top Bottom