29 gallon journey/journal/build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. Limpet said:
For a 29g, I'd suggest 36w 6700K for low light, 55w 6700K for med light plants.

So 55 watts... Would the fixture gonefishing suggested work for that? Edit: just went back and looked... Answered my own question. :p I need to be more observant.

Sweet! The link will be very helpful when ordering lol! Hoping petsmart will have a sale around the time tank buying comes round. Then I'd have the $ to buy the light at the same time! (speaking of which... 15$ to having enough $ to get things underway... Yay!)

Ok, as time for setup draws closer, I have more questions just to make sure I'm right lol. (determined not to make the same mistakes I made on my ten gallon lol.) this time it's about rocks. Ok, so I am trying to raise my Ph, because it's very low... Would it be fish-homicide to put a rock that vinegar fizzes into the tank to raise it a bit? My Ph now is 6.6... And I'd like to get that to more like 7.6-7.4. With the fish I have, that seems reasonable to me. I'm not using meds for this (issue?) but any other suggestions would be great! My future stocking again (for reference) is:

6 black skirt tetras
6 rummynose tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams (pair... I'm willing to risk it)
1 keyhole cichlid
1 starlight bristlenose pleco

70 gallon aquaclear filter, yes im fishless cycling, and all that jazz.

Ok, as time for setup draws closer, I have more questions just to make sure I'm right lol. (determined not to make the same mistakes I made on my ten gallon lol.) this time it's about rocks. Ok, so I am trying to raise my Ph, because it's very low... Would it be fish-homicide to put a rock that vinegar fizzes into the tank to raise it a bit? My Ph now is 6.6... And I'd like to get that to more like 7.6-7.4. With the fish I have, that seems reasonable to me. I'm not using meds for this (issue?) but any other suggestions would be great! My future stocking again (for reference) is:

6 black skirt tetras
6 rummynose tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams (pair... I'm willing to risk it)
1 keyhole cichlid

70 gallon aquaclear filter, yes im fishless cycling, and all that jazz.

The SW crowd swears by crushed coral to raise pH, and I agree that natural is better than chems. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you might want to do research to make sure it doesn't cause other issues, like higher phosphates.

Ya, I'll definitely do some research. I was considering crushed coral... But I'm trying to spend as little money on things I don't necessarily need as possible, and I thought that'd be a good thing to do.

I have a new question!!! (lol, don't I always?) ok, so I'm going to have the pair of rams in there... And I assume they're going to try and breed on me... I've never dealt with breeding before... How does it work after the eggs are laid?

The Bolivian Ram is an egg layer that prefers soft to medium hardness, neutral pH and slightly raised water temperatures (77-82°F). Peat should be added to the water. The female will lay up to 200 eggs on stones and occasionally, in depressions. Both the male and female share the rearing of the fry, and it has been reported that they will take them into their mouths to protect them like a mouth brooder. Care should be taken so that the fry are not sucked into the filter.

You can let the eggs and fry stay with the parents because bolivian rams are not known to eat their own offspring. It should however be noted that the couple can be ready to breed again within two weeks, and may chase away or even kill the fry from the first batch when this happens. The fry should therefore be moved to their own aquarium long before this happens. As soon as the fry are free swimming, they do not need their parents anymore.

Well... I'm not trying to really interfere with the breeding, so I guess I'll just let them do their thing, and I'll sell the surviving fry.

Also... Another Change of plans. Instead of one 70 gallon aquaclear filter, I'm going to have one 50 gallon aquaclear, and one 30 gallon aquaclear. The 30 will be moved to a hospital/QT tank when needed, and I'll just toss the old cartridge before I put it back in the main tank, to stop the spread of disease. Any thoughts?

Ok... Are pythons supposed to be so expensive? Found one online for 30, but it's price had been reduced from 80! Anywhere I could get a cheap one?

Wow... I'll look it up! Found another for about 40... If my wal mart doesn't have those, I guess I'm ordering online for almost everything for this tank!

Well, the website didn't have it. I'm going to check out a possible LFS next weekend, so hopefully I can find one cheaper there.

Ok... Since it's highly likely that i'm going to have snails at some point... Do I have any snails eaters on my list, or will I need to add some assassin snails to my list?

And heck... Just for critique:
Ok... First off... Supplies:
1 AC30
1 AC50
1 fluval heater (forgot the wattage...)
-gravel/sand (from lowes/home depot)
-Fake plants (just to start... Will upgrade to live when I get the $)
-live plants (anubias nana, java fern, dwarf hair grass, etc.)
-driftwood (found on the beach, plus maybe a store bought piece)
- rocks (mostly from outside)
-lighting (2 24 watt fixture from fishneedit)
-API kit (duh lol.)
-ACE janitorial strength ammonia
-melafix
-primafix
-aquarium salt
-other (flower pot, caves, etc.)

Now for stock:
6 black skirt tetras
6 rummy nose tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams (pair)
1 keyhole cichlid

Now for the $ plan:
Buying supplies in groups. First group is the bare minimum to get cycled:
Filter (AC 50), heater, substrate, driftwood

Set up plans:
1. Put in substrate, set up heater, filter, deco, etc.

2. Fill up tank with treated tap water.

3. Dose ammonia. Put the filter media from the 10 into the back of the cartridge, and put a pantyhose full of used gravel from the 10, and clip to side of tank.

4. Cycle, test, dose, rearrange decor, save for fishes!

2nd is the stocking: (after fishless cycling of course)
1. Add 3 more black skirt tetras. QT for 2 weeks, put in main tank

2. Order 6 rummy nose tetras and starlight bristlenose pleco from liveaquaria.com. QT the tetras for 2 weeks, put in tank. QT pleco for a month, drop in tank.

3. Order 6 orange laser cories, and the 3 cichlids from Hn1 and severum mama. QT the cories and keyhole for 2 weeks, and the rams for a month. Into main tank they go!

4. Purchase python and better lighting.

5. Purchase live plants

6. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom