29 gallon journey/journal/build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i dont know about that maybe someone will pitch in but im getting tabs and flourish plus DIY Co2 but it'll be work it once it carpets (my 10 will be a fry tank so it has to be good enough too look at without having fish in it for awhile).

Ill give it a shot if no one replies. Ok, with the substrate, I'm still having issues. I'm debating wether to do black sand with small river rocks, white sand with small river rocks, just white sand, just black sand, or just small river rocks... :( suggestions?

hmm if you have albino fish definently the black and river rocks if you have darker fish the white and river rocks

Ya. I'm thinking the white sand and river rocks too, as I probably wouldn't be able to find my soon to hopefully be favorite fish. He's a starlight bristlenose pleco! (look them up on google... The app doesn't feel like uploading pictures today lol.)

this is the pleco i might get Rio-Negro Pleco
p-89882-candy-stripe.jpg

allaboutfish said:
ahh found them on liveaquaria but they call them starry night plecos

Ya, that's where I'm getting mine. I've got an email set up so when they get more I can jump on them!

Ok... Having more second thoughts... Am I asking for trouble with a pair of bolivian rams and a single keyhole cichlid in the same tank?

Alright, there is a new stocking list:
6 black skirt tetras
6 rummy nose tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams (pair)
1 male betta (Elvis gets an upgrade! Yay!)
1 starlight bristlenose pleco

Same filtration, and If the betta gets beat up, (or beats up others), he can go back to my ten gallon. Any suggestions? Would that work?

i doubt the betta will work considering the bolivians are so colorfu, l but thats all i can see thats wrong except severum mamma said no skirt tetras bc it'd be hard for the the rams to eat.

That's a good point, skirts are pigs. And they get the food fast and efficiently. But I think she already has the skirts, so she's just going to have to try and make it work, I think. Might be able to do a sinking cichlid pellet for the rams that you can get past the skirts.

I added a very chill female betta who I had kept in 2 other communities in with my GBR and she did NOT like it...not one little bit. I would be surpised if Elvis works out in there, but of course he'll just go back to his 10 so no biggie ;) The betta is the only on the list that really swims up top so personally I'd rather have a group that would school in the top half more and free up some mid-bottom space.

siva said:
That's a good point, skirts are pigs. And they get the food fast and efficiently. But I think she already has the skirts, so she's just going to have to try and make it work, I think. Might be able to do a sinking cichlid pellet for the rams that you can get past the skirts.

I added a very chill female betta who I had kept in 2 other communities in with my GBR and she did NOT like it...not one little bit. I would be surpised if Elvis works out in there, but of course he'll just go back to his 10 so no biggie ;) The betta is the only on the list that really swims up top so personally I'd rather have a group that would school in the top half more and free up some mid-bottom space.

Ya, I'll give him a try, and if he misbehaves, he gets a free trip back to his ten gallon. Lol. I'm kind of hopeful though. Maybe the pair's aggression will make Elvis think twice about attacking. I'm hopeful, but it's worth a shot. If all is well, then I'll get to rescue another petsmart betta for my ten gallon! I do have the skirts, and they need an upgrade, but I'll leave my filter on during feeding so as to get food to the bolivians. The skirts are pigs though! I call them my piranhas! I love them to death though, and I couldn't get rid of them, and this upgrade is mostly for them!

i dont get that. why couldnt we just feed the cichlids cichlid sinking food? wouldnt that be enough? bc i wanted white skirts bc it'd be a cool contrast to my soon to be black background. we might need to run this by severum mamma.

allaboutfish said:
i dont get that. why couldnt we just feed the cichlids cichlid sinking food? wouldnt that be enough? bc i wanted white skirts bc it'd be a cool contrast to my soon to be black background. we might need to run this by severum mamma.

severum said it was worth a shot. anyway, tank set up starts next week!!! i'm doing white sand with river rocks...(all from ace) and i'm getting the ammonia, (also from ace.) the tank is from petsmart, and i'm about to start soaking driftwood and cleaning rocks. i have a rock question though... do i have to get every single dirt particle off? also, sad news... my betta died. :( rest in peace elvis! :'( he had parasites i think, so therefore, he didn't survive the stress of the move. i'm thinking at this point, i'm thinking about just do a silver molly and a black molly. would that be alright? that puts me at this:

6 black skirt tetras
6 rummy nose tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 mollies
2 bolivian rams (pair)
1 starlight bristlenose pleco

it will have a AC50 and an AC30 on it, and all that stuff.

Actually I said I wouldn't try it personally but that it's your tank and your choice. ;)

With the mollies in there I think you are really pushing it as far as bioload. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom