29 gallon journey/journal/build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
severum mama said:
Actually I said I wouldn't try it personally but that it's your tank and your choice. ;)

With the mollies in there I think you are really pushing it as far as bioload. JMHO.

oh... whoops... guess i twisted the story a bit... sorry. maybe one molly?

ok, just went out to lowes and bought substrate. i went with paver's sand... will that work?

I'm wondering the same? I just went to lowes and home depot and neither had pool filter sand. I thought they would with the summer months right around the corner.

siva said:
I'm wondering the same? I just went to lowes and home depot and neither had pool filter sand. I thought they would with the summer months right around the corner.

i guess it'd work... it's a bit grainier(<~sp?) than pool filter sand... but i'll give it a shot... hopefully someone else will chime in.

ok, just confirmed with mi madre that we can get the tank on either monday or tuesday!!!

one more thing i forgot to ask... how do i clean the sand? i get the gist... but i'm not sure how it really works...

Homedog98 said:
one more thing i forgot to ask... how do i clean the sand? i get the gist... but i'm not sure how it really works...

I have PFG in my 100 G tank. I used a phyton to clean it, same as any other gravel. The PFS is "heavy enough" to be able to be vacuum with no problems.

OK, just went out in search for white play sand, since I couldn't get PFS locally and wanted something to use right away tonight...Well they didn't have white play sand, so I asked the guy at home depot if they had white pavers sand..he said "oh you aren't going to want to use that, it's heavily treated with chemicals." So I think that answers that :(

Did you mean cleaning the sand before adding to the tank or once it's in?

siva said:
OK, just went out in search for white play sand, since I couldn't get PFS locally and wanted something to use right away tonight...Well they didn't have white play sand, so I asked the guy at home depot if they had white pavers sand..he said "oh you aren't going to want to use that, it's heavily treated with chemicals." So I think that answers that :(

Did you mean cleaning the sand before adding to the tank or once it's in?

uh oh... gulp. i still have the bag... lets see here.

well, i'll look online. i used lowes "american countryside" paver's sand. it looks really good, but if it has chemicals... i'm screwed! well either way... heres the story (in multiple posts) heres the first: sand shopping... (will edit pictures in... app trouble.)

Ok... Well, while I figure this paver sand thing out, I dosed to 4 ppm yesterday, and am down to 3 ppm today

Here are the pictures
1. My sister trying to figure out how to set up the filter
2. My sister trying to tie anubias nana to a rock (I gave her the hard jobs! Lol)
3. Filling it up. No python yet... So buckets were required.
4. Tank before light
5. Tank after light
6. Tada!!!

Attachments

• image-4012665017.jpg
    image-4012665017.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image-2696860999.jpg
    image-2696860999.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 137
  • image-355105908.jpg
    image-355105908.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image-4062040638.jpg
    image-4062040638.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1411353135.jpg
    image-1411353135.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image-4012374361.jpg
    image-4012374361.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 125
GoneFishing said:
Looks good, is that as full as you keep your tank?

Does it need to be filled up more? I like it there because it keeps the surface agitated... But I can raise it if necessary.

Homedog98 said:
Does it need to be filled up more? I like it there because it keeps the surface agitated... But I can raise it if necessary.

Oh I have no idea I was just wondering. I usually fill mine up so the filter outflow is level with the water. For me this reduces current flow deeper than the waters surface. I also have two filters on my tank which would cause a lot of flow.

Great Job!
I'm so glad to see your sister involved in the whole project!!
And yes, I would suggest you to fill a little bit more water in the tank.

ejaramillo01 said:
Great Job!
I'm so glad to see your sister involved in the whole project!!
And yes, I would suggest you to fill a little bit more water in the tank.

Thanks! I figure since she'll get to keep up with the tanks while I'm in college... Better to start now. Wow though... I hate to say it... I'm loving this sand! I love the color, it's not sharp at all, and It raised my Ph! I went from 6.4 to 7.6! That's exactly where I wanted to be! I still have the carbon in there, and I went from 4 ppm to 3 ppm in 24 hours. (pretty good for the 2nd day!)

Ok, mom offered to take me to petsmart. Got 30$ to burn... Buying more live plants and water siphon! Parameters later, added driftwood and rock... Will post pics tonight!

Back
Top Bottom