29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kinda worries me is the fact that there are only 76 LEDS on the 30 inch elive when filled woth 19 modules...compared to 168 on a finnex planted plus 30 inch.

I do like the fact that I can customize the modules for how I want them (planted series module or different colored ones)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to say.. i don't anticipate that led being all that productive on a planted tank. Your funds would be better put to a proven grower...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have not been able to find many reviews (outside of the manufacturer and chain pet stores) on this light fixture. There was one or two references on AA about it being used in a planted tank in early 2014 but there was no follow up. I did find a thread on another forum (TPT) and the consensus was that it was suitable for a low light tank at best (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=590281
In the product tech specs, lumens are published, however, it is difficult to say how well this fixture will do in a planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I really hope they(my parents or grandparents) didn't buy the elive now...i didn't specifically say i wanted the elive, but they might get it.?

I really hope they(my parents or grandparents) didn't buy the elive now...i didn't specifically say i wanted the elive, but they might get it.?

That's what receipts are for;)

That's what receipts are for;)

Yup!! If i get the elive and it does prove to be low light what should I get?? Finnex Planted Plus??? How much do those run for? I have seen $100-150 online

What kind of lighting would that give me? I want to say it is ~16 inches from the water surface to the substrate

Maybe that price will drop to $84.69 without the sale when the Finnex Planted + 2 comes out. The finnex is about $20 more than the elive too, seems like its worth the money

Even if you did go with the elive light, it would cost more money to get it setup and going that just going with the finnex planted +. The elive is 70$ but you would need to add in the red led light pods to it which are roughly 8$ each for a planted tank. Stick with something that is proven to work.

Even if you did go with the elive light, it would cost more money to get it setup and going that just going with the finnex planted +. The elive is 70$ but you would need to add in the red led light pods to it which are roughly 8$ each for a planted tank. Stick with something that is proven to work.

Yea that's what im thinking. The pods where around 6 dollars if i remember correctly but that will add up fast

What kind of lighting would that give me? I want to say it is ~16 inches from the water surface to the substrate

I cannot recall the exact PAR value but I believe the lighting would be medium.

Would these plants work jnder medium light? I would assume that because of the light increase I would need to start dosing ferts.

Any other plant suggestions are much appreciated! ?

Attachments

• 1417826230186.jpg
    1417826230186.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 60
As for the fish stocking it has changed a bit: 10 black skirts, ~20 neon tetras(still dont have an accurate count on these little buggers!), 6 cory cats (not sure which species yet), 10 ghost shrimp,and 6 otocinclus.

I decided to remove the kuhlies because they seem like they are always going to be hiding when the lights are on. Plus i dont know how my split photo period would affect them. I might add them but probably not.

Put the stock into AqAdvisor amd came back with 122%, 40% weekly water changes, and over 150% filter capacity. Instead of doing one 40% pwc a week could I do 2 20% pwc? One on say Sunday and the next Wednesday?

Also can anyone ID this cory for me? Lovely petsmart doesn't distinguish their cory cats, and it doesn't look like a bronchis splendes.

Attachments

• 1417828735266.jpg
    1417828735266.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 1417828922893.jpg
    1417828922893.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 91
Put the stock into AqAdvisor amd came back with 122%, 40% weekly water changes, and over 150% filter capacity. Instead of doing one 40% pwc a week could I do 2 20% pwc? One on say Sunday and the next Wednesday?

Also can anyone ID this cory for me? Lovely petsmart doesn't distinguish their cory cats, and it doesn't look like a bronchis splendes.

Looks like you may want to scale back but I've heard AquaAdvisor is on the conservative side.
Just for fun I plugged my data in and got 1318% filtration, 8% WCs, and 33% stocked. That's 2 AC50s on a 20g long with 3 gold tetras and 2 longfin zebra danios. Yeah, I know I should have more of each but I've been concentrating on the plant stuff and was not sure where I wanted to go fish-wise. I've had the tetras for over 7 years and the danios 2 years. There were 6 each but have passed on over time. And an Amano shrimp has been in there for about 1.5 years.

Looks like a Peppered Cory

Would these plants work jnder medium light? I would assume that because of the light increase I would need to start dosing ferts.

Any other plant suggestions are much appreciated! ?

Those plants will work. Other suggestions include Bacopa caroliniana and crypt wendtii red. Both are widely available; I have had good luck with the Topfin tissue culture gel packs from PetSmart.

I am planning on buying the plants from the gel packs...no unwanted hitch hikers.

Not sure on the otos though because the two pond snaild I have now seem to do a good job at cleaning up algae.

I was bored tonight and found an empty 2 liter bottle in the garage so i now have a 3 bottle co2 system. When I was looking for the leak in the bubble counter with a lighter I must have sealed it up because I dont hear any more gas escaping when I squeeze the bottle ?

Attachments

• 1417835603529.jpg
    1417835603529.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 74
Well after an hour of tinkering i have fixxed the co2 system. The silicone seal was the cause of the leak so I replaced it with hot glue. I changed my diffusion method to 2 pieces of balsola wood held down by a brass T bar. Now I am finally getting a good amount of small and really small bubbles (little bigger than the ones in that video i showed you fresh). My plants should be much happier now that they have their CO2

Fish are not happy with me right now. I think they where getting used to that hot summer weather, and today fall rolled in ? 2 weeks after I started heat treatment so got to drop heat to 80 degrees. In time they will become happy with fall weather

Back
Top Bottom