29g Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisjg04

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have decided to start to conversion of my 29g tank from a coldwater goldfish tank to a tropical community tank. I wanted to keep a log of the process here to be able to get any input and suggestions as this is my first venture into a serious tropical community tank.

Currently I have the 29g tank and I am running an Aqua clear 70 HOB filter. with a versa top and single tube fluorescent light. I am planning on upgrading the lighting as possible but not in the near future upgrading to a canister filter.

Today I went out and purchased a Marineland Visi-therm Steal 100w heater. I also bought the Carib-Sea Tahitian Moon Sand substrate. I am planning on making this a planted tank in the future and figured I would go with a sand substrate from the beginning.

I am a college student and have a two week break before I go back for summer session so the majority of the work will be done in the next two weeks.

My preliminary stocking list includes:
10 neon tetras
school of 6 other tetras or mollies
3 yoyo loaches or albino cory cats
dwarf gourami
10 ghost shrimp
2 snails

A few pictures:

Before:
img_981333_0_d15a4c0c2400f8e116c84c45f2ebdd35.jpg

Substrate:
img_981333_1_8b5a1219ba8f5338d4cadcd25fcdd1f4.jpg

Cleaning the Tank:
img_981333_2_23c8a9e3607fba9774cfc48819dd6126.jpg

As I am sure you know, your tank will probably still be cycling when you go back to school, make sure it has completed the cycle before adding the fish. I know, waiting sucks. I just went through the cycle process with my 90 gallon.

As I am sure you know, your tank will probably still be cycling when you go back to school, make sure it has completed the cycle before adding the fish. I know, waiting sucks. I just went through the cycle process with my 90 gallon.

The tank has been up and running for several months now so the filter is completely cycled already. It may go through a mini-cycle with an increased bio-load though.

:] cant wait to see the finished product! Keep the thread updated!! Im currently waiting for my Eco-complete to arrive in the mail, way excited. Im converting my 36 gal from silk plants, to planted community. Next on my list is the sundail T5 light fixture, versa-top, black spray paint, and its new home (stand).

OK so the sand is now in the tank, there is probably an inch to an inch and a half layer. I think I might need another bag to thicken the layer a bit for when I plant the bag but we will see how it looks when its all settled.

img_981372_0_94ce99892290c413d5fbf6fffb050271.jpg

I am debating getting a power head to add some more flow in the tank and be able to give the sand bed that smooth even look all along. Perhaps just a small Aqua Clear power head. hmm...

As for the lighting I am looking at the Coralife Freshwater Aqualight. I might be able to get a deal on a double giving me 2x65w lighting. If not I will just be going with the 1x65w.

You should expect a full cycle. Beneficial bacteria isn't just located in your filter. Its located in the substrate, plants, rocks, etc. Since you removed all those any bacteria is also gone. The bacteria left in your filter will most likely die since there is no ammonia to feed it.

I would recommend not getting a powerhead if you want to do a planted tank. All that extra surface water movement will cause a loss of CO2 and make it harder to grow. Try digging through the kitchen. You should be able to find a nice wide spatula that you can use to smooth the sand. They also make special stainless steel aquarium appliances for this but they are worth the money IMO.

You should expect a full cycle. Beneficial bacteria isn't just located in your filter. Its located in the substrate, plants, rocks, etc. Since you removed all those any bacteria is also gone. The bacteria left in your filter will most likely die since there is no ammonia to feed it.

I would recommend not getting a powerhead if you want to do a planted tank. All that extra surface water movement will cause a loss of CO2 and make it harder to grow. Try digging through the kitchen. You should be able to find a nice wide spatula that you can use to smooth the sand. They also make special stainless steel aquarium appliances for this but they are worth the money IMO.

Your right, I forgot that in taking out all the substrate and deco I was removing BB. And in taking out the snail that was living in there I removed the ammonia source.

The spatula is a great idea however and definitely a lot cheaper than a powerhead. Thanks!

well too late. i would have told you to take the moon sand back. if you are going to go with plants you might as well have got flourite eco or one of the other cheaper options. the hob you have should be fine unless you want to do co2.

well too late. i would have told you to take the moon sand back. if you are going to go with plants you might as well have got flourite eco or one of the other cheaper options. the hob you have should be fine unless you want to do co2.

Well I still may need to get another bag of substrate so maybe I will go with the black sand flourite and mix it with the moon sand as they both look the same. I was not planning on going with any co2 right now, if anything maybe just a simple DIY system. I know the HOB causes surface agitation with off gasses the co2. I do however have plans to upgrade to an xp2 canister in the future at some point, which will then allow me to run a pressureized co2 system correct?

Just a quick update. Went to the LFS today and picked up anther bag of Tahitian Moon Sand as they did not have the flourite black sand. Plus it was also cheaper than the flourite :)

Ill be putting in that bag and giving it a change to settle before i do some water changes to clear it up and start the scaping.

On another note. Has anyone had any luck keeping an angelfish in a tropical community tank, my mom fell in love with the angelfish at the LFS and wants one in there now.

Quick picture of the tank with the 2nd bag of sand in it:
img_981583_0_b6ce8f1ac1338776bfc8d61cd8ca393a.jpg

I am giving it a chance to settle now and will do some water changes tonight to clear up the cloudiness a bit. I am planning on putting in the heater after that to start heating the water up.

Did a water change tonight to clear up the water a bit. I then went ahead and put in the heater and several rocks and my easter island head.

img_981713_0_64c46e8e825337e0e9c85bbe477ee59e.jpg

All is coming together much faster than I originally thought so I think I will be adding some plants now before I leave next week.

As far as lighting is concerned would I be better off running a Coralife Freshwater Aqualight 1x65w or 2x65w setup? I'm gonna run a DIY co2 system on this tank also so I would be looking to have plants in the low to medium light range until I can get a prezzuried system.

I'd go with the 1x65 watt (2.2wpg). Make sure you get a bulb for plant growth. 6700K is most common. 2x65 will give you 4.5 wpg and will require pressurized co2 and lots of work trimming plants.
Once the sand gets some more bacteria in it, it will settle more so you should not have to worry about cloudiness.

i used that sand before.... make sure when you clean the tank.. you fulllllly disturb it.. if you dont, it makes your whole house smell like a pond =(

I'd go with the 1x65 watt (2.2wpg). Make sure you get a bulb for plant growth. 6700K is most common. 2x65 will give you 4.5 wpg and will require pressurized co2 and lots of work trimming plants.
Once the sand gets some more bacteria in it, it will settle more so you should not have to worry about cloudiness.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking but I just wanted to be sure. I'm going to be getting a dual 6700/10000k bulb for full spectrum and plant growth.

i used that sand before.... make sure when you clean the tank.. you fulllllly disturb it.. if you dont, it makes your whole house smell like a pond =(

Thanks. Definitely don't want my house smelling like a pond.

it will smell you out of house hand home... i just went out and bought my 55 gallon to start completely over instead of mess with the sand LOL

Well with a thorough cleaning it shouldn't really smell all to bad. A little smell is alright because the tank is in my room and when I'm away at school no one is ever in this room except to take care of the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom