29gal & Don't Know What To Stock It With...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Aqua

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i have an empty 29gal that needs to be filled with something. I have a CA-Cichlid 40 gal tank. I want something that has a good amount of fish in the 29Gal and very colorful. Nothing that grows bigger then 3inches or so. Thinking of some tetras or some blue rams or something? Any suggestions would be great!

Also what decor/stocking I need to get to keep the fish happy.
Thanks in advance!

J

Pair of GBR or 3 (1m and 2 f) apistos, 6-8 Cardinal or Rummy-nose tetra, one angle, some corries, and lots of plants :D

JDogg said:
Pair of GBR or 3 (1m and 2 f) apistos, 6-8 Cardinal or Rummy-nose tetra, one angle, some corries, and lots of plants :D

Sounds good! Newb question but what are GBR's? And what about the water conditions, temp, pH ect. What plants suit these fish best! Could fake plants work?

Newb question but what are GBR's?

German Blue Rams

I'm not a Ram expert, but I believe they prefer water that is on the softer side, and a pH in the high sixs - low sevens. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

12 tiger barbs. constant action. deep reddish tinge on body, nose and fins as soon as settled. planted helps but not necessary.

Vmax911 said:

German Blue Rams

I'm not a Ram expert, but I believe they prefer water that is on the softer side, and a pH in the high sixs - low sevens. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
yes GBR = German Blue Ram
if you plan to breed them then soft/acid water is good, but if you are not worried about that you will be fine, as long as the ph is constant, high 70 would be a good temp (77-78 ish). if you are not worried about sticking to plants only from your fishes natural habitat, then any would work, but unless you are interested in upping your lights, ferts and adding co2, then you might be limited to low light plants.. i.e. Java Ferns, Elodea...
Check out the planted tank section for more suggestions.

these fish would also benefit from some driftwood and/or caves...

they would be ok with plastic plants, but happier with real plants (as are mosT fish)

HTH

JDogg said:
Vmax911 said:

German Blue Rams

if you plan to breed them then soft/acid water is good, but if you are not worried about that you will be fine, as long as the ph is constant, high 70 would be a good temp (77-78 ish). if you are not worried about sticking to plants only from your fishes natural habitat, then any would work, but unless you are interested in upping your lights, ferts and adding co2, then you might be limited to low light plants.. i.e. Java Ferns, Elodea...

they would be ok with plastic plants, but happier with real plants (as are mosT fish)

HTH

Thanks,

No I don't plan to breed the fish at all. Just want a colorful tank in my living room to show off. :D I saw some Blue Rams at my fish store and they're certainly beautiful fish. I have a 10in long peice of driftwood I could get some pots for caves, and smore driftwood. What kind of gravel or do these fish prefer sand especially with plants? I am up for a challenge on a planed tank, just don't know what is all needed and what type of care.

The 29gallon tank is a "Top Fin" Aquarium, with a HOB filter. Not sure what the lighting is? It lights up the Aquarium nice and bright and blue. Will I need a Co2 system to keep the plants hardy?

My pH in my water (tap water) is high, 7.6 and above. So will I need to decrease the pH level, if so how? I'll search the planted section to get some answers! Thanks again, very appreciated!

J

J-Aqua said:
JDogg said:
Vmax911 said:

German Blue Rams

HTH

Thanks,

No I don't plan to breed the fish at all. Just want a colorful tank in my living room to show off. :D I saw some Blue Rams at my fish store and they're certainly beautiful fish. I have a 10in long peice of driftwood I could get some pots for caves, and smore driftwood. What kind of gravel or do these fish prefer sand especially with plants? I am up for a challenge on a planed tank, just don't know what is all needed and what type of care.

The 29gallon tank is a "Top Fin" Aquarium, with a HOB filter. Not sure what the lighting is? It lights up the Aquarium nice and bright and blue. Will I need a Co2 system to keep the plants hardy?

My pH in my water (tap water) is high, 7.6 and above. So will I need to decrease the pH level, if so how? I'll search the planted section to get some answers! Thanks again, very appreciated!

J
i do not want to get too much into plants here, since it is general forum, but if you start a new thread in the planted forum i will teach you everything i know about planted aquariums :D

If you go with GBR's I would suggest staying away from an odd number, unless they are all of the same sex. If a pair forms they may harass the outsider so much that the fish actually dies. Stick with even numbers, same amount of each sex would be ideal.

Even if you don't plan on breeding these fish they may do so on their own. GBR's are really easy to get to spawn.

Also, they prefer soft and acidic water as mentioned above but 7.6 would be okay. Just try to keep it stable. I would keep the water temp between 78 and 82 degrees for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom