3 gallon general thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been testing my water parameters probably every other week and noticed that I was getting a slightly higher level of nitrate every time I tested. Did water changes and I only feed the shrimp every other day, but I still seem to have a pretty high level of nitrate even with chaeto in the AQ.

Turns out the chaeto was dying/dead... Not sure what really sure how it happened though. I had a light source for it from the stock light fixture. So I decided to take it out of the AQ.

Looks like that was what was leaching the nitrates and possibly the phosphates that started a cyano bloom in one corner of the tank. I got some snails from Reef Cleaners stating that these snails will eat cyano, but doesn't look like they touch the stuff at all.

So I am waiting for some chemi-pure elite and purigen from inTank to combat the cyano. I also added a Korila Nano 240 in the tank, I heard that I could have a lack of flow in my tank that resulted in the cyano. My touch coral seems uneffected for the most part. Just flowing in a very slight direction.

Still trying to kill the dang aptisia that has grown to a noticable size behind my rocks. I had been dosing it with a good hot water bath that keeps it at bay while I await aptisaX.

I thought about maybe trying to create an overflow box that goes to a small fuge I would make kind of like the ones you find at Foster and Smith. The AQ takes up too much room on the back wall and makes it hard to arrange all the wires stuff in the tank.

Just some general thoughts. Any ideas on the overflow? I thought about replicating the ones on Foster and Smith, but a smaller size to hide behind the tank.

Back
Top Bottom