3 tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cody owens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon tank completely furnished hood to substrate its been cycling for two weeks now no fish at all .... I have a 50 gallon tank with everything but substrate ..... I haven't cycled it yet .... and I just got hold to a 100 gallon tank with a stand but absolutely nothin came with it except one large center piece lime rock and a single light not a full hood .... I plan on baggin two filters next week an some plastic plants here an there my main concern before I get to the fish itself is I want to get sand for my tanks except the 5 gallon .... I would really like to know how to clean sand as simply as possible .... I read the beginners guide thread on the main page but I'm looking for detailed description on cleaning sand once its in the tank .... also ... I plan on buying play sand from home depot its really really cheap and I need 5 ...50lb bags to get a good 1inch to 2 inch coat on the bottom .... I already have the idea of filters and plants just stumped on substrate plz post asap lol thank you sooo much

Rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse it more :) Stick it in a large bucket and rinse it out with a hose until the water runs clear. It takes some patience.

..... sooo the five gallon bucket method is the only way ?? And a gravel syphon .... is it possible that this would work also

U can also put the sand in a pillow case and put the hose in the pillow case till the water runs clear

Hmmmm that's interesting but I'm also talking about once the sand is already down in the tank after bout 2 weeks wen I need to clean the sand how do I do that then without having to completely empty the the tank an move everything every two weeks lol ..... like do I still need to use b the bucket or pillow techniques or what?? I'm really not tryin to be stubborn or hard headed I'm just curious to how I'm goin to clean the sand once it been in an needs cleaning periodically

Poo and everything else stays on top of sand, so just use ur syphon, swivel it around above the sand to kick the debris up a bit, and suck it up with the syphon.

Awesome .... thanks sooo much lol I was kinda iffy bout the sand wondering if cleaning it would be a pain .... now I know.... thanks again

No problem. Since I've changed from gravel to sand I love it, takes half the time or less to clean it

Back
Top Bottom