30 gallon angler tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 30 gal drilled acrylic tank that has been cycled and just basically holding different inverts for the last 3-4 months at least. I've decided it's time for an angler after much debate as to what to do with this tank (it was free so I set it up and figured to get started before I decided on inhabitants). I have a few questions though.

Instead of coral- can I make it a macro tank with red macro, mermaid fan, shaving bush, etc? Not only will it be better for the water but it will provide colors for the angler to morph Into as well. Or at least that's my hope

Since anglers require a lower flow- I was thinking of using a nano rotating power head. Anything wrong with this? I figure this way I could use one and have almost a wave effect without too much flow.

Since they require a lot of live rock, does there need to be mostly caves, ledges, or more substrate surface area?

Is there anything else I'm missing? Lol

Sounds good to me..
Both mine have one PH each and its more at the surface..
I have mostly ledges and mine are constantly perched on top of rocks and almost always in clear view ..Rarely are they in any of the caves,usually go in after they snag some food then come right back out a day later..

Your going to really enjoy getting to know these guys ,they are quite unique and most guests we have over head to the wartskin tank first..

This is so cool ,,I'm really glad more people are getting into these fish now(y)

Ok. Keep in mind only the cycle is complete. Lol. The stand is not - it's just a frame and I'm ok with that for now.

I have 26lbs of LR in the tank now (stolen from different areas around the house and at the shop :) ). It looks like diddly squat. There's a 2 inch sand bed as well. Like I said before the tank has some inverts that are all fat and happy and come out and play everyday. Should I add more rock? Or should this be ok for the angler? I tried to scape it so there was plenty of places for him to perch on and that's why the rock is all like bridgework IMO. There's a low flow ph in there but not the final one- just one that I threw in there when I initially set up the tank a while back. Right now there is a spare LED on the tank- but that's being moved to another project soon. Since I'm only keeping macro in the tank what do you recommend as lighting? I have a spare housing unit in the garage but I'm curious as to what bulbs everyone would recommend.
Also- depending on the size I get (most likely small) would live mysid be ok to start as live foods? I am working on actually breeding them in another tank as treats for my sister's seahorses. Of course it would most likely be closer to 1" that I would feed a small angler. As it gets bigger I could switch to damsels every few weeks as a treat since I am hoping to get it on frozen as soon as possible. Lastly, I know the peppermint in there would be dinner and mostly likely some others, but would hermits and nassarius be ok?

Some pics-

img_1915069_0_b44e1a2124e6a869c2fec01f0ae1cc9f.jpg

img_1915069_1_bb2eee74a70d4135d80bdc880b412f47.jpg

img_1915069_2_9bd5bac7e6e0391d3e6dfe6813a9f02e.jpg

img_1915069_3_25bf08433319766959f977310896166e.jpg

img_1915069_4_1e8655c947c8b24b6c8d5c24a4e806e4.jpg

img_1915069_5_b467fd84daa136322a82906dc5c75db6.jpg

Personally I like the open look..Maybe a couple more big chunks but i guess its up to you..
You could try the live mysis ,i'm sure it will go for it..I always just started with chromis and then frozen,and yes that pep will be dinner..
Hermits should be fine ,,i have them in both my tanks ...I would imagine if you didn't feed it for a month it would probably think about going for them,but i have never had any problems

FTMMWS said:
Personally I like the open look..Maybe a couple more big chunks but i guess its up to you..
You could try the live mysis ,i'm sure it will go for it..I always just started with chromis and then frozen,and yes that pep will be dinner..
Hermits should be fine ,,i have them in both my tanks ...I would imagine if you didn't feed it for a month it would probably think about going for them,but i have never had any problems

Yeah- I'm gonna try to scrounge up some more rock here and there. It looks really empty right now. I started dosing calcium in the tank for the macro and I'm going to put some in tomorrow. Hopefully that will fill it out some more as well. I'll probably grab some more rock tomorrow. Mermaid fan, shaving bush and halimeda are the macro I'm going to start with. We shall see how it goes. Then I'll add some more red macro. I'm hoping to pick up my angler in the next week or so. In that time I'll get the stand somewhat completed and possibly build a canopy- that is if I can find enough 2x4 laying around that my husband hasn't already claimed.

Thank for helping me along! I'll join the AAA club. Lol

Ok. It's late and now I'm debating. Do you guys think it would be better to just have Rock piles on the sides of the tank with more open substrate room?

Ok. It's late and now I'm debating. Do you guys think it would be better to just have Rock piles on the sides of the tank with more open substrate room?
I think it would be better to leave open substrate ..They don't swim, so open swimming space won't matter ...He'll mostly perch and walk along the sand ..
I'm actually considering taking some rock out of mine after seeing your scape..I like it(y)

Thanks. I'm gonna play with it a little more when I get home in about 30 minutes. I kept pics so if I don't like it I can always revert

You know I'm following this!

What lighting are you planning to use as I've read that some of the calcium based macros need very high lighting.

Also where do you plan to purchase these macros?

Right now I'm using some LEDS. But they won't be on the tank for long. I have a housing unit but am taking suggestions for bulb replacements. Lol. I'm not really sure of the lighting requirements for the more decorative macros. I was thinking the equivelent of Refugium lighting?

Hondatek said:
Yea you probably have more fish equipment laying around that I have in use lol.

Lol. Yeah- let's just say if that every pump that's running and I own broke today it would be fixed in three hours. Lol

Ok. While I was moving around all this rock (cause there's sooo much) dozens of times, I kept thinking a cave to play peek a boo and plenty of perching space. So this is what I came up with. Let me know which you like better... This or the previous...

Oh and I apologize for the drabness of the lighting. I have to turn off the blues or it looks like its nighttime in my tank

img_1916056_0_16874e94c5584ca7fb3bd5a4711369a0.jpg

img_1916056_1_25dcc1f08f437c5c995624729e8b5a7e.jpg

img_1916056_2_12b77bd8a30a8b4fcf8e477155485ad4.jpg

The water is a little cloudy as well but that's to be expected when moving so much rock. Lol

I like the shaving brush . I always thought about getting it for my tank but I don't think 2 4 foot t8 bulbs would support it. Good start though.

Back
Top Bottom