30 gallon breeder build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have an empty 30 gallon aquarium waiting to find a spot and for me to fill it, but for stocking all i know is i want to do a breeder project, the pair needs to be able to live in the 30 gallon, and the babies need to live in there to, this will be my first egg layer, i have done mollies, platties, guppys, and marbeld crayfish. so the fish cant be to hard to breed, and if it could live with plants that would be great, and i need to be able to sell the fish i raise, at auction and to my lfs(my local fish society loves chiclids.)
thanks

Since you want a planted tank shellies are out. With cichlids you could do cons but I don't know if they'd sell. Rams or apistos maybe.

Not cichlids but I've heard a lot of people say dwarf rainbows are easy to breed.

kribs may be good, there is a ceratan genus of chiclid that my entire club goes nuts for. cant remember what it was.

Following. I'm interested in what you come up with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you breed cichlids, make sure they are captive bred, wild ones have a very little chance of breeding

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you breed cichlids, make sure they are captive bred, wild ones have a very little chance of breeding

Says who??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Articles. Wilds may breed in captive, if the environment is very similar to their wild environment

I've bred wc apistos in city tap water.. species only 20l. Sand and plants.. boom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well someone better tell just about every fish I've owned

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
well it is 30 gallons planted needs to be something at the 10 to 20 dollars a fish, and needs to be something people want, i may have a 20 gallon i can use to. i'm open to all suggestions.
what are some really pretty apistos that a beginner can breed? i have only done crays and livebearers

well it is 30 gallons planted needs to be something at the 10 to 20 dollars a fish, and needs to be something people want, i may have a 20 gallon i can use to. i'm open to all suggestions.

what are some really pretty apistos that a beginner can breed? i have only done crays and livebearers

Caucatoides are probably the easiest to breed and I've seen them go up to about $12

A beginner can breed any of them really, it all just depends on the info you can get and how much work you want to put into it. Your higher dollar fish are typically a bit tougher to breed but there are some that aren't so tough to breed we just let people think they are ?

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bred caucatoides in a 10g.

I think apistos would be a good choice if you're looking to sell at local fish clubs or online. For more general public sales (lfs) I'd go with rams or kribs.

My club members love apistos.
I guess my question is: why do you want to breed? Are you looking to make some money or keep the fry? How many are you willing to house? I think you said you wanted to sell...
I thought I would breed my Shellies to hook up some friends and sell at auction and now I want to keep them all...haha. Once you get in the groove you could have a significant number of fish on hand so just keep that in mind. Not sure about rams or apistos but I get nervous about fry being killed or scarfed when the parents are ready to breed again...although I'm sure that's different with each species.
Of course you don't necessarily have to go the cichlid route either. There are lots of other fish which are quite popular at our local auctions depending on what the people there specialize in.

i would like to do corys to, but it is really for fun so i can learn more, and call myself a beginner breeder, i want to sell so that i can get rid of the fry and have money to spend on my fish, so my first goal is to have fun and learn, and second sell babies

Cories would not be my first choice for an "easy" egg layer...it's not entirely difficult but I think to begin it's probably more satisfying and successful to use a fish which exhibits care for the eggs and young and won't predate them, that way they do most of the work for you ;)
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom