30 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ggoodwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone,

i have grew up with fish tanks since i can remember, but they have all ways been fresh water. i have a 30 gallon tank i am wanting turn into a saltwater tank. i have looked and been to all the sites and when it comes to all the equipment i need i am lost on what to get and not to get.

And also where do i start with setting up the tank

Thank you

Things you need are refractometer, powerheads, sand, live rock, a filter of some sort, and salt.

Things that are recommended are lights, and an ro/di unit.

Hopefully someone will chime in with anything I left off.

ok thank you

do i need a protein skimmer ? and a wet dry filter?

what kind of lights?

Protein skimmer would be overkill but you can definitely get it if you want.
I don't recommend wet/dry filters since they trap detritus and cause nitrate issues, but if you want you can do a refugium. I have a 20 long refugium for my 40g.

The lights depends on if/what coral you want to keep.

Take your time is really all I can say lol. Good luck!

Also, you should get a liquid test kit. I, along with many, use the API master test kit. It tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

You don't need a protien skimmer if you do weekly water changes. And you can get whatever lights you want. If you want to grow corals you'll need pretty good lights. And if you want an anemone you'll need really powerful lights. Good Lights are expensive tho

ok thank you so all i need is refugium heater light and I'm good to get started?

I using mpostly aquaclear filters. I have a 50 on my 20g sw and had a 50 on my 29g regular tank.

It allows you to change your media around to what you need which is very convenient, it picks up the particulate matter quite well and they are cheap.

Amazon.com: AquaClear 50 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 50 Carbon, AquaClear 50 Foam & AquaClear 50 BioMax: Pet Supplies

An aquaclear 70 might be a bit too much but they are here

Amazon.com: AquaClear 70 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 70 Carbon, AquaClear 70 Foam & AquaClear 70 BioMax: Pet Supplies

They are $10 more but filter alot more water.

Hope that helped! :)

Ok thank you does any one still use the undergravel filters for salt water?

Back
Top Bottom