300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had this happen in an aquarium at the fish club's annual fish show. A member brought his actual tank in as many of the corals had grown onto the glass. I will say this tho, unless you have over the top filtration and a need to see a really foggy tank, I'd be glad they aren't spawning in your tank. WHAT A MESS!!! You'd be better off (IMO) having corals that send out buds or just divide better than mass spawning. Much neater and cleaner. Besides, how many of those eggs do you think will actually survive the filter? (y)

I've seen it with big colonies of SPS corals, but my understanding is they are primarily the ones that spawn this way. Remarkably in sync with wild corals worldwide. Yes, it would be a mess and I doubt it is as effective as fragging to generate more coral in a closed system.

Ii figured he'd like to see what was going on with all the critters in the tank..... Hopefully he doesn't cause too much trouble

He is nothing but trouble, but we love him. He has about as much chance of catching a reef fish as the cat does, zero.

My hippo tang is already 5" and growing like wild. He was 1" about a year ago. Never had a fish that grew this fast. I am now going to have to consider what to do as my 300 is going to be cramped for a 10" hippo.

Looks great! Awesome photo w the bird in front of the tank. What is the green hard coral by the acros and Xenia garden?

I've seen it with big colonies of SPS corals, but my understanding is they are primarily the ones that spawn this way. Remarkably in sync with wild corals worldwide. Yes, it would be a mess and I doubt it is as effective as fragging to generate more coral in a closed system.

I forgot about the Fragging aspect. That was either non existent or in it's infancy when I last had a coral tank. LOL
I just remember getting heads of Gonipora (Flower pot) corals with miniature buds coming out of them. I remember there were 2 other corals that also had a similar situation but I can't recall their names at the moment. I'm old :D
(y)

Looks great! Awesome photo w the bird in front of the tank. What is the green hard coral by the acros and Xenia garden?
Green Club Finger Coral, Stylophora pistillata, or Cats Paw. Was grown from a 1/2" frag. It's a easy SPS variety to grow.

Attachments

• image-3861075424.jpg
    image-3861075424.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I forgot about the Fragging aspect. That was either non existent or in it's infancy when I last had a coral tank. LOL I just remember getting heads of Gonipora (Flower pot) corals with miniature buds coming out of them. I remember there were 2 other corals that also had a similar situation but I can't recall their names at the moment. I'm old :D (y)
So am I. I bought flower pots at the time because we though they were the most resistant coral you could buy. Sadly, they just took longer to die. Same was true with elegance corals. People also bought large gorgonian sea fans that would be a skeleton in a month. Live and learn.

Video surveillance and monitoring of the fish tanks as well as home. All ipad based.

Attachments

• image-1470205336.jpg
    image-1470205336.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 105
I used several different types, some Foscam HD cameras and some d-Link cameras with fish eye lenses meant for iPhones. They all stream to the web and I can access them anywhere.

I'm kinda wondering why you think the blue tang will get to big for your tank. Sounds like it grew really fast, I might have to upgrade again sooner then I planned. I figured I had a few years with my 150

I'm kinda wondering why you think the blue tang will get to big for your tank. Sounds like it grew really fast, I might have to upgrade again sooner then I planned. I figured I had a few years with my 150

It has grown very fast and he is super active. We'll see how it goes, my tank is a bit crowded for a big fish like him at full grown size.

I have been intending on building a new house for the past 10 years on some property I own. Will have to wait for the upgrade when that move happens. There is no room in my current house for any more tanks!

When I make enough money to build it. I hate banks, so once I have the funds saved, I will build it. Paying off the land right now. Luckily, my business is doing well, so it may not be that long before I can start. The house is designed around a 1000 gallon reef tank just as my current house is designed around my 300 gallon reef.

I'm looking forward to growing out some decent colonies. I only plan on getting one more fish for my 150 and focusing on coral. I want a fox face that would put me at 11 fish. 2 clowns, a yellow watchman goby, scooter dragonette, blue tang, and 5 blue/green chromis

Back
Top Bottom