300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone feed their mandarins with fish roe like flying fish and prawn? I can get both at the Asian supermarket. Very nutritious and I have heard wild mandarins will accept them.

I hear folks talking about loving silica sand as a substrate. Funny thing is I have never seen silica based sand dominating in a real reef. Most if what you see is coral crushed in the guts of parrot fish. This fine grain crushed coral is sometimes marketed as aragonite. Not only is it a calcium buffer but it also has no silica in it. Why isn't it preferred over silica sand which in my view isn't as natural looking?

You can get white silica sand as well, which looks close enough to aragonite and is dirt cheap. That's the main reason....cost. I'm with you though...it's always been calcium based sand for me.

Doug, my Pectinia isn't looking so good. All the other acro frags are doing well but the Pectinia still is loosing color. I have it under low lights where my euphilia lives after starting out under moderate light. It didn't like being shipped and I can't get it to eat. It was a nice frag and I'm miffed I can't sort it out .

Does anyone feed their mandarins with fish roe like flying fish and prawn? I can get both at the Asian supermarket. Very nutritious and I have heard wild mandarins will accept them.

Just wondering which Asian supermarket you go to. I live in the area and would like to eventually try to make my own fish food.

Chong's Oriental Market
Just be sure to read the ingredients. Some things are okay like salt in the product. But avoid flavorings. Tabico is what it's called, it's the tiny eggs they put on sushi. Usually orange in color. Even if it's colored with vegetable dye it's fine for both human and fish consumption. Roe is loaded with protein and good stuff. Just rinse it thoroughly before feeding. There will be a riot.

In fact a Asian market is a bounty of ingredients to make fish food. Nori, roe and lots of stuff.

Last edited:
Chong's Oriental Market
Just be sure to read the ingredients. Some things are okay like salt in the product. But avoid flavorings. Tabico is what it's called, it's the tiny eggs they put on sushi. Usually orange in color. Even if it's colored with vegetable dye it's fine for both human and fish consumption. Roe is loaded with protein and good stuff. Just rinse it thoroughly before feeding. There will be a riot.

In fact a Asian market is a bounty of ingredients to make fish food. Nori, roe and lots of stuff.

Thank you. I've never heard of it. I will have to check it out. I'd rather make my fish food than buy it. Then I know what I'm feeding them for sure.

I remember you. How's your tank doing?

Quite well. I recently upgraded my lights from old t-8s to full spectrum LEDs and there has been a huge difference in growth. I have all sorts of macro algae popping up, which is awesome. I haven't added any new corals for a while, but the mushrooms you have me are multiplying very quickly. I love it. I have been having a problem with nuisance algae and nitrates but I think I'm getting it under control. Thanks for asking. :) I see your tank is thriving as always. I look at your tank and am in awe. It's one of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. :)

My tank is undergoing one if it's decade long changes. I am adding a lot more LPS from the basement frag tank and am going to add more SPS colonies to the system upstairs. The mushrooms are thinning out some as I increase my water quality to promote the hard corals.

My tank is undergoing one if it's decade long changes. I am adding a lot more LPS from the basement frag tank and am going to add more SPS colonies to the system upstairs. The mushrooms are thinning out some as I increase my water quality to promote the hard corals.

It'll look great. It makes sense that the mushrooms ate thinning out. Only more room for the sps.

A number of years ago, I went diving in Kona Hawaii. We went on a night dive to feed Manta rays. Sounds cool? Well, it was beyond that. I was so astounded, I got no video or photos. I just sat there with my mouth open trying to breath. But I found a video on the internet from the exact same site on a similar night shot by someone that kept their act together. We shined our lights up to attract krill, the mantas did the rest. There were 10 of them the night I was there. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/NOQhvSLgGjI

Last edited:
Gone for 5 days and came home to phosphates at 0.00ppm and one of my favorite quick growing SPS corals was bleached. Putting the phosguard reactor on a timer to get it up a bit.

Wow that video is incredible! I'm surprised the sps bleached I was under the impression the purer the water, the better. I guess if it was a quick change though... It is certainly a delicate balance.

Has anyone ever seen a condition where a sunbeam triggered a Cyano outbreak along its path? After 22 years I now see that happening in my reef. Phosphates are at a all time low of between undetectable to 0.08ppm.

Back
Top Bottom