30g bow front FRESH vs SALT??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I honestly had no clue where to put this. So mods feel free to move. I just assumed that because its freshwater now it can be here.

Anyway, my first tank was a 30g bowfront. It had clown puke gravel and fakey decor. I got a few African cichlids for it. The filter was way under powered. Lots of bad choices, right? Well I started making changes. Got rid of the gravel and got sand. Got rid of the decor and got driftwood. Planted the tank and got new compatible fish.

Fast forward 6 months and the algae is out of control. The fish aren't happy. Almost all my plants died. I feel like the tank is too far gone.

My dad made me an offer though. He said that if I convert the tank to saltwater, he would pay for it.

So do you guys think I should try to fix the tank up, or convert to salt?Also include why I should choose fresh or salt.- I have a good home the fish can go to.

I think that if you had trouble maintaining a Fw planted I would highly recommend that you first get a good grasp on maintaining fish and plants in FW before jumping to Saltwater. It is harder and definatley more expensive. Kill 1 fish on accident and your 50-75$ in. Just my opinion but I say you go FW planted, figure out what you did wrong correct it and go from there. :)

I agree. Salt is more complicated and more expensive. With fresh you grab your wallet. With Salt, you get a bigger wallet!... OS.

I have no trouble maintaining it. As I have had a 10g high tech planted tank. And I've bred German blue rams. I've been in the hobby for almost 3 years now:).

I have just been trying to fix so many things I couldn't keep up with this tank.

I don't think maintenance or money is an issue. So my main question is what do you guys prefer in a 30g bowfront. Do u think its better suited as a salt or fresh? Do you think it's worth the work converting it all?

Well in that case then I say go for it! you will need to upgrade your lighting for sure though and need to re cycle your tank. I think a 30 gallon bow front is an awesome size for a reef! (y)

In the past you hardly ever saw a salt tank less than 55g. Now smaller ones are common place with the better technology. I failed to notice it was you Sillyfishes, yeah you are more than experienced enough for salt. I like the reef tanks best but go to the salty's section and start asking about some of the options. You sure can't beat the color in salt.
Good luck, OS.

Back
Top Bottom