30g Stocking Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karackle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be setting up another tank soon and I wanted to get some advice / opinions on stocking options and compatibility. The tank is going to be a 30g planted tank that I am inheriting from my friend's mom. She doesn't have too many live plants in there now, but I plan to fix that ;) And there are no fish in there at the moment. So i'm starting essentially fresh, other than her lovely moss-covered rocks that i want to keep :)

So the one species i definitely plan on putting in the tank is Sparkling (pygmy) gouramis. I've done some research and the opinion on how many should be kept together seems to vary quite a bit, so i'd love some input on that!

I'd also love to keep bumblebee gobies, but not would love input on them as well. I'd probably keep one of the two true freshwater species found here in the nano-fish section at FranksAquarium.

As for the rest of the fish I am open to suggestions. I'm thinking about possibly doing a few groups of different species of nano-fish, particularly some of the micro-rasbora species, or possibly ember tetras. (Again, see the franksaquarium list.)

I was also pondering doing Threadfin Rainbows (but am not sure how they'll do with the gouramis?), a few guppies and one or two groups of schooling tetras (such as rummynose, neons, cardinals or something like that) instead of the nano-fish.

Any and all input, suggestions and compatibility advice would be most welcome! thanks in advance! :)

ON the sparkling gouramis I keep 2 in a 28 galloin, and at feeding time they get very territorial with each other.. may have to move the smaller one.. I've had good luck wwith them.. However I've heard that they are normally underfed (due to tiny mouths) even before fasting them to ship, I've also heard that they can be VERY sensitive.. mine are doing good in a slightly higher PH than they would normally like! Coloring up great and leaving the plant life more to "explore"

bumblee bees are brackish would not work in a freshwater set up

Micros can be hard to come by and a bit sensitive but fantastic if you can acclimate them! I like all your tetra options..

I don't know much about threadfins but I know that a lot of rainbows can have disease... I can't even remember what its called though (lot of help I am..lol)

I always like the look of one larger school rather than two small-mid sized schools. The moss covered rocks sound lovely. Do you have any photos of them?

haykay - thanks for the information! It is actually pretty helpful and good to know, I used to have 2 sparkling gouramis and they did really well until I had a major tank disaster (whole other story) but before that they did well together in a 20g. There's a couple species of "bumblebee goby" that are actually truly freshwater that I might consider ordering IF i go with the nano-species because I'd probably order them all from the same place :) Otherwise, yes, I realize the ones you can normally find are brackish so i won't go with them :) Thanks again :-D

eah - I like larger schools too, but I like a diversity of fish so we'll see what I decide to go with :p Probably more schools if I go with the nano-fish, less if I go with "larger" tetras (not that cardinals/neons/rummy-nose are huge ;))
I don't actually have pictures of the tank, but one I get the tank I'll be sure to post them :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom