320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know... it's at least 3 weeks... probably 5... I hope to start setting up my tank mid July and have fish in it by Sept 1st.

I am sort of a manager... but ya I see my tank falling further behind then that... we will see. I have so much going on in real life and the tank hobby... I still haven't started soaking my DIY rock... and I still have to make about another 150 lbs of the stuff... looking at ordering my lights from china... takes up to 7 weeks from the time I place my order before they get here.

As long as you plan the scope and accomodate the delays involved - you can't lose. Remember not to under estimate; it's always good to over estimate. When you reach your endpoint sooner than expected and come in under budget, you feel as if you have accomplished more.
(Project Manager in training :))

Maybe you can start outsourcing! (Family) It's cheap and more efficient.

It definitely seems like you aren't sacrificing quality to meet a deadline so keep the deadline and then do it as you can right? This is going to be one of the coolest tanks!

My wife can't read English and doesn't like to get dirty. My kids are too young to help and my dad isn't what I would call net savvy and doesn't like the idea of working with cement... and those are all what I'm working on atm for fish stuff. I'm going to have like 30-50 LED's for my tank... each with it's own heat-sink and fan... now I'm thinking about everything else I need to do... plumbing, rock, balancing my water parameters.

If you need to re-caulk, you can get the moisture off the surface for a good adhesion by cleaning with acetone from a local hardware store. It works great, but be aware -- it is flammable!

Steve

I'm trying to add a youtube video to this so that you can watch it here... how can I do that? Anyone know?

....Thanks mommytron :D

i've just copied and pasted the link right in with the text and the video pops up in the post. have you tried that yet?

I don't have a salt tank but will keep this video in mind if I ever do get one. It is really great to have someone go to all the trouble of doing a video to help people out. Great job!

I don't have a salt tank but will keep this video in mind if I ever do get one. It is really great to have someone go to all the trouble of doing a video to help people out. Great job!

I made a thread for FW "live rock" and greenmaster threw in his $0.02. I think it would be awesome to have my own custom rocks in mine. I will definitely be watching these videos when I get closer to returning to the States where I can start on my tank!

Thanks... and I like to help people out, because I like to get help... if people didn't help one another the world would fall apart faster then it is already.

Another note on the rock... If you are making more elaborate shapes and/or you want it to flake less you could do 1.2-1.5 parts cement and it is still quite porous and not too heavy. The formula I posted is the minimum amount of cement you would want... in the video I was saying that "you don't need to be exact" but if you put heaping scoops of the oyster shell and sand with shallow scoops of the cement your rock will be weak.

Greenmaster, I just got back from an extended trip and this is the first time I have viewed your video. Great job, well narrated and great overall video. I can't wait to see it in your tank.

Ya me too... tank is coming July 14th... I have also made some more awesome rocks (a couple more big ones) but they won't all fit in my tank lol.

Back
Top Bottom