33g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicole29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Current inhabitants:

-6 Rainbow praecox
-4 spotted corys
-1 male Betta (housed here while others are in his 10g)
-1 pleco (will be returning for a couple of otos since I found out he will outgrow the tank)

I have 3 zebra loaches and 2 Bolivian Rams being quarantined right now in my 10g. I realize my bottom strata will be pretty stocked, I hadn't planned on getting loaches but a snail overpopulation changed my mind.

My question is can the corys/loaches/rams all coexist, or should i move my corys to my 10g with my Betta?

Also, can I add anything else to my current stocking scheme??

(My tank is 36"long, with an aqua clear 300 filter and live plants)

All your bottom feeders should get along fine. Have you considered any dwarf gourami's (when the betta is out again)? You could do a small school of tetras, there are many different kinds that look nice.

would I be able to get 2 Dwarf Gouramis and say 8 cardinals, or would that be pushing my limits too much?

It may be pushing it. 2 dwarf gouramis are a bad mix in a small tank, unless one is a female, which are very hard to find. You could get one dwarf and call yourself stocked.

well i think i'm going to move my corys and betta to my 10g so my stocking will look like this?

33g
-6 Rainbow praecox
-3 zebra loaches
-2 otos
-2 Bolivian Rams

-1 DG or 8 cardinals (or any other suggestions)

10g
-male Betta
-4 spotted corys

suggestions, comments????????

I'd get an ID on the cories, other than "spotted". Could they be 3-line cories...otherwise known as Corydoras trilineatus? Like this one?
Or maybe a Corydoras sodalis, like this one:
img_672942_0_a7cb6d1c32eb4b3584d79bd431a4d3d2.jpg

Or maybe a Leopard cory, like this?

Some spotted cories only get about 2 inches, while the sodalis cories get around 3 inches, and pretty big around. I don't think I'd put any of the 3 above in a 10g. Its just too small. The cories, loaches and rams will get along fine.

here is my cory

Attachments

• fish_434.jpg
    fish_434.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 30
That would be a "peppered" cory (Corydoras paleatus).

Nicole29 said:
well i think i'm going to move my corys and betta to my 10g so my stocking will look like this?

33g
-6 Rainbow praecox
-3 zebra loaches
-2 otos
-2 Bolivian Rams

-1 DG or 8 cardinals (or any other suggestions)

10g
-male Betta
-4 spotted corys

suggestions, comments????????
The cories might feel a little cramped in the 10g.

A single dwarf gourami or the cardinal tetras should work just fine.

so should i just keep the corys in the 33 then??

if so, does that eliminate the possibility of getting a gourami or cardinals???

I'd definitely keep the cories in the 33g. Peppered cories are one of the larger types (~3in), so they be cramped in a 10g.

I think even with the cories you'll have room for the cardinals. I'd go with 6-8. Do 40-50% water changes weekly and you should be fine.

Cute cory you got there!

so does this look ok then? is the 33 overstocked?:

33g
-6 Rainbow praecox
-3 zebra loaches
-4 peppered corys
-2 otos
-2 Bolivian Rams
-6-8 Cardinal tetras

10g
-male Betta

are there any changes you guys suggest? Is there anything that I may be able to put in with my Betta in the 10g?

You could get some smaller Corys for the 10 gallon. he will ignore them.

Your 33 is pretty full. I would not add anything else.

wondering if this combo would work, if it doesn't I'll just use my original

-1 Angel
-6 Rainbow praecox
-2 zebra loaches
-4 peppered corys
-2 Bolivian Rams

10g
-Betta
-6 Cards (I'm assuming of course with the Angel I would have no more room in my 33g for them)

Thanks for the help

I'm thinking about changing my tank to a south american blackwater stream, would this stocking work:

-10 cardinal tetras
-6 peppered corys
-2 Bolivian Rams
-1 BN pleco

are those numbers alright? I figured an angel wouldn't be the best choice to add, but if I could I would like to. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Should I add an angel or say a group of 6 marbled hatchets??
Do I need to change my stocking numbers if I add these??

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom