35gal reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The little compacts or the big ones like mine

Little compacts. I have 2 of these.

img_2328462_0_b5ee1a06d50ccb2722329ecc268d96f5.jpg

I completely agree about not feeding leathers. Many LPSs are okay to feed occasionally but you can propagate the leather you have over and over in a well lit and maintained tank without ever feeding it. The food really is far more likely to lower the water quality and hurt it than it is to feed the thing. Small careful weekly feedings may be worth doing once the tank has more corals. For now weekly water changes are the best thing you can do to get it to improve.

A lot of people said I needed to upgrade if I wanted coral but there really isn't much difference in my fixture and a 4 bulb t5ho fixture

Oh ok I was gonna say mine are compact fluorescents but together they are 130 watts

Yeah. With this other bulb my tank totals out at 35 watts for the whole tank. Lol. It's only 10 gallons though. So that makes a difference. But yours are still much better. I'm waiting for my birthday to get here. I asked for t5s and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Lol.

Edit: I meant to post this is the other one.
img_2328481_0_7d5cc62aacf13e2cfe85077f5ea1f479.jpg

I completely agree about not feeding leathers. Many LPSs are okay to feed occasionally but you can propagate the leather you have over and over in a well lit and maintained tank without ever feeding it. The food really is far more likely to lower the water quality and hurt it than it is to feed the thing. Weekly water changes are the best thing you can do to get it to improve.

Yeah I'm doing weekly changes I have water mixing as we speak.
it shriveled up again lol

A lot of people said I needed to upgrade if I wanted coral but there really isn't much difference in my fixture and a 4 bulb t5ho fixture

I think you would have trouble keeping hard corals and you have to choose wisely what you keep, but you can certainly keep corals. (says the girl keeping a very healthy hammer coral in a tank with 35 watts of light. Lol. I think I got lucky.) i think your tank is looking better every day!

I think you would have trouble keeping hard corals and you have to choose wisely what you keep, but you can certainly keep corals. (says the girl keeping a very healthy hammer coral in a tank with 35 watts of light. Lol. I think I got lucky.) i think your tank is looking better every day!

Well thank you. I have a thread of my own I started to show updates. I mainly want maybe some mushrooms, Duncan, Frogspawn, hammer, leathers, Kenya tree, and there was a few others

kwandrsn said:
I mainly want maybe some mushrooms, Duncan, Frogspawn, hammer, leathers, Kenya tree, and there was a few others

Those are all some of the easiest and most forgiving corals you could pick. It'd be hard to get a better list than that to start out with. Besides that, most people love them so it's easy to sell or trade frags to shops or other hobbyists.

I ended up with another nice little Richordea frag yesterday. Moved some rock and coral around a bit. One of my snails did me a favor and knocked my frogspawn off It's plug so I put it lower in the tank.

Lol, I wanted it lower but couldn't budge the plug it was on. Now I'll just have to go buy another coral to cover up the bare plug. Lol, good excuse to buy another coral.

ForumRunner_20130210_093125.jpg

ForumRunner_20130210_093218.jpg

Also found a dead hermit crab yesterday. Picked him up with my extending focus feeder and dropped him by mistake and he landed on my Duncan. The darn thing actually ate the crab! I sat in amazement!

Also found a dead hermit crab yesterday. Picked him up with my extending focus feeder and dropped him by mistake and he landed on my Duncan. The darn thing actually ate the crab! I sat in amazement!

Wow I'm taking it wasn't in its shell no more right?

Back
Top Bottom