3g Nano reef so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been about 8 days or so. Water, rock, and sand from my main. 1 hermit. 1 snail, and 1 emerald green crab. Also a piece of rouge devils hand that I know will have to come out since they get huge.

'Trates at 10. Ammonia at zero afetr a short bout last week a couple days after setup. Temp hovering at about 81

Might try to do a PWC tomorrow, then add a small ricordia from home and maybe consider a small goby for "the" fish. Would like a bi-color, but I haven't seen any lately at the lfs.

Looks good :D Which heater did you end up going with for such a small tank?

Sweet tank , that looks like a heater from walmart it has no control ... I would highly recommend loosing it I had 2 of them melt down (literally melted and bubbled) and short out in the tank I would hate to see you loose your tank because of a faulty heater ....go with something like this
finnex heater

I cant wait to see the final pics. Who is that distigushed looking guy in your first pic. LOL

Which heater did you end up going with for such a small tank?

It's a 4"/7.5w "Junior Heater" for aquariums from 2-5gallon.

it has no control
Yep. that's my fear too. I am in the market for one that has a thermostat.I'ts unplugged for the most part since the ambient temp in my office is crazy right now. I checked the Finnex (linked above). Too big I believe @ 50 watts. Doesn't give me the size either. Can't be any longer than 6".

Who is that distigushed looking guy in your first pic.
Some guy that sits at my desk all day. All he does is hang around at this aquarium site.

BTW, bad pic - my belly ain't that big!!! :roll: I just didn't tuck my shirt in.

I have the exact same heater in my 2.5g planted betta tank. So far so good. It was the only heater under 50w I could find.

Tank is looking good!!

The same as I have? How long has it been in there?

I guess my thoughts (more like my hopes) were that it woudn't heat higher than 82. Just wonderin' if ambient temp is 81 or so, will it drive it higher anyway.

I have only had this setup for about 6 weeks. So far it keeps it right at 80-82.

BTW, bad pic - my belly ain't that big!!! I just didn't tuck my shirt in.
Remember the camera adds 10 lbs
I ran the finnex heater in my 2.5 gallon it is only 6 inches long I believe . I place mine in the filter so I needed small too.
I always sat mine to 2 degrees lower than I wanted it at ... for example I wanted ours to be around 75* so I sat it to 72* and never had an issue with it over heating the tank.... I did this in both of my 2.5 AGA tanks .... The only warning I have with them is when you take them out of the box epoxy the seam around the controller . They are working on a redesign of that but it is not out yet.... Aside from that and it is an easy fix they are affordable and a decient heater... IMHHO

Remember the camera adds 10 lbs - Yep. that's got to be it!!!!

My filter is only 4" tall. Wish I could get one in there. Pls measure your Finnex if you get a chance and lemme know.

From the sand bed to the top of the water column, I've only got 6" to work with. I'd rather place it vertically w/in the 6". Can't do anything longer 'cause I have only got 9 1/2" across the back, but the overflow tube for the filter is back there, so it looks like I got only the vertical option - hopefully with 4-5".

Ok to where the plug comes out it is just under 6 inches
I had mine side ways on the bottom , this is a great time of year to land diffrent fastners .... I used suction cups to "lead" the cord where I need it to go ... and usually this can be found int he xmas isle ;)

New shot of the tank with a fish. I'm gonna also probably add a goby (i forgot the name) that's about a 1/2". Want something to swim or at least hover out front. Will add the small feather duster and a small frogspawn after my lunchtime trip to the lfs.

The clown is fun still. Took off for the feeding hole when I fed him this morning. First time since he was just added yesterday and he acted like that was our routine already. I just grab a small bit of food with my aqua tweasers and stick it in the hole. He's there to meet me.

Not to be mean and correct me if im wrong cause you probably have way more experience than me ..... but isn't a 3gallon nano way to small for any type of clown? ... let alone a clown and goby?

Ray

3gallon nano way to small for any type of clown?

Yep. I'd agree. But....

The clown is less than an inch. The goby is about the same. At the point where I can't keep nitrates in line, the clown goes back to the lfs. I live 5 minutes away and got this "special" relationship with them.

Also, got the goby today 'cause I wanted something that would be out front and move around. The clown won't. Stays in his corner. He'll probably go back long before he grows anyway. Not too much fun so far. And maybe you're even more on target 'casue the clown may not be swimming around much 'cause there ain't much room to swim. They got some gobies at my lfs that are about a quarter of an inch long - full sized. Might be a two goby tank!

BTW - anybody named "Ray" can doubt/question me any time! :wink:

-Ray-

Looks good Ray! What type of goby did you get? I have a yellow and green clown gobies in my 2 1/2gal. They do not really move around much...they just "perch" on corals and rockwork, which is what makes them great for picos.

Marineland makes a 25 watt heater... I think the name of it is the Neptune. I used it in my 5 gallon betta tank, and am using it now in my 10 gallon betta tank. It may be bigger than what you want, but it is under 50 watts and has a thermostat you can control.

Love the nano BTW!!! I'd get a yellow watchman goby for sure, I just love those little guys!

What type of goby did you get?

Hector's Goby. He's about an inch long.

I think the clown is going back. Sits in an upper corner and waddles. The goby sits out in the open near the bottom. I like that better. Beautiful colors too.

Marineland makes a 25 watt heater...
How long is it?

Back
Top Bottom