3G Nano Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can go pull some PAR evil actually did some extensive testing but I'll have to dig it up but the numbers were off the chart. All the hard corals did fine and most of the soft ones. The shroom hated it though

Ok so what if I add another 50/50 bulb will that make a difference or will that not do anything. So instead of the 1 coral life 10w compact I'll have 2. Or doesn't it work that way?

yes, it will double the amount of light. what fixture do you have over the tank now? how can you add a second screw in bulb?

when you are making it, you might try to make some sort of reflector also. that will help direct a lot of wasted light back into the aquarium.

The only thing I'm worried about is in this small of a tank that doubling the light might cause a massive algae bloom

then light accilmate, youll need to do it for the corals anyway, you could also use a mylar balloon (the inside of it)

Ohh I see. Good idea never would have thought of that. What's the best way to light acclimate this tank? Only have the 2nd light on for an our or two and increase it like an hour a day?

I think the aluminum or stainless sheet metal will be just as good if I polish it

So if I add another light bulb do you think that will be enough light for the zoas? And will it be too much for the shrooms ?

hard to say if it will be enough. i don't know how much PAR these lamps put out. i don't think it will be too much.

I wouldnt worry about a bloom with more light. And your zoas will be happy as well. The 10W lights because the are the "screw" type of CF light you get a lot of whats called pass through, where the light bounces back into the bulb. Wasting a lot of light. The mylar baloon works, honestly though i have seen a lot of success with the Edges using LEDS just a thought.

Yeah in the future I'll probably get some LEDs but right now I'm in the middle of buying a house so I need to save all the cash I can. Right now I'm going to stick with the bulbs

Here is the light fixture I made to day to add another bulb. It only took me about an hour and a half to make, so it's not pretty but it works. Probably make a nicer one when I have more time.

Attachments

• image-3543473565.jpg
    image-3543473565.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom