40 breeder stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dx12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have a forty gallon tank and I just can’t think of any fish when it comes to my tanks. I would like some suggestions on what I should I have in there. Preferably predatory and either a singular large fish or a few slightly smaller ones.

Why not a pair of angelfish? A single or pair of fancy goldfish would fit...not really predators but they will eat anything smaller than them.
Giant danios are larger and you can have a school of them.
Tiger barbs are sort of a medium sized fish but they are aggressive if that's what you are looking for.

Or if you wanted a bunch of smaller ones try rummynose tetras, they have a cute red face and are a tight schooling fish.
If you like cichlids you could breed a ton of shell dwellers in there.

Hi, thanks for the ideas but I mainly want a ruthless predator to hunt down most other fish small enough to fit in their mouths.

I think for the type of fish you’re looking for, the 40 breeder is small. I have 12 tiger barbs in my 40 breeder. Sounds like you’re in the Oscars/big cichlids camp.

Have you considered a pufferfish? They eat shellfish not small fish but have great personalities.

What about grass pickerel?

Puffers don't eat live fish, they need shellfish like clams and snails and other invertebrates.
No grass pickerel get too big, they need 75g. Your options are limited with a 40g.

Pufferfish are cool but most are rare, too small, or need brackish. Any fish that eat live as well as pellets or flakes?

I decided to get a 55 instead of a 40, any different fish I could have in there?

I looked into it after buying my 55g, you are better off getting a 75g. With a 75g you can get those bigger fish like Oscars or Flowerhorns which will definitely eat anything smaller than them.

What about dwarf pike cichlids those are cool and stay pretty small

Back
Top Bottom