40 gallon fish stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyjoelyjoepro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone! I have been thinking and I want a 40-50 gallon tank. I was wondering what and how many of these fish can keep in it.

A Gourami (not sure which kind open to suggestions)

Bala shark

Red tailed shark

Some Cory cats

Angel fish

A snail?

I know I can't fit all of them but what ones can I keep together?

Thanks in advance!

Just cross Bala shark out of your mind now lol. Too big and need schools. Would never work in a tank this size.

IMO a red tailed shark could be alone in here. They are territorial though so I wouldn't recommend anything with it in a tank like this. Maybe an acara or firemouth could work but not community fish.

Angel and a school of Cory cats as well as some other schoolers like tetras/danios/livebearers would be nice. Snails can work too. This has my vote.

Caleb

Ok... I thought a 50 gallon would be big enough for a lot of freshwater fish like discus or maybe An oscar. These are just some of my personal favourites. :(

You really need to see the full size of these fish before you go and buy a tank you THINK is big enough to house them. Bala sharks get huge, oscars get very big, discus are pretty large, and I would not recommend a red tail shark.

Do your research!!

You really need to see the full size of these fish before you go and buy a tank you THINK is big enough to house them. Bala sharks get huge, oscars get very big, discus are pretty large, and I would not recommend a red tail shark.

Do your research!!

Yeah, I was just confused because the pet smart website I was looking at said they needed a minimum of 40 gallons which I know now is completely misleading.

Anyway do you think I could keep any type of shark? Or discus, angelfish and a gourami? Would a single oscar work? Because some websites I have visited have said a minimum of 50 gallons.

Thanks

Angelfish would work and so would rainbow fish, discus wouldn't however

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
EDIT: Gourami will work, but not oscars

I've heard of a discus pair being OK for a 40 breeder but I wouldn't recommend it to any but the more experienced fish keepers.

I said in my first comment angels can work.

Gourami can also work.

Caleb

What about a rainbow shark or red tailed shark, a gourami, 2 angelfish and cory cats in a 40? Or is that overstocking?

No sharks can go in this tank with other community fish. The shark is too aggressive long termX

Caleb

Can a shark go with African cichlids then, if they are that aggressive or would the water perimeters kill them?

Back
Top Bottom