40 gallon tank stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xr3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 40 gallon tank that is done cycling and I'm wondering what to fill it with.. I have my eye on a dalmation molly and about 5 barb tigers. I also have a betta healing from some fin rot and as wondering if he would do well with those fish? (once fully healed) also would adding a common pleco with a very fine and small type of gravel? I would move him to a bigger tank once he out grows the 40 I just want to know if the pleco would be okay with the gravel

I would not put tiger barbs in with a Betta. Tiger barbs are known to fin nip and since Bettas normally have longer fins they will make a good target.

As for the pleco, I have a bristle nose pleco in a tank with eco complete and gravel and don't notice any issues and its been two years. If you are looking for a pleco that eats algae, I would recommend the bristle nose over a common pleco. The other nice thing is they stay under 6 inches.

Good Luck!

I would not put tiger barbs in with a Betta. Tiger barbs are known to fin nip and since Bettas normally have longer fins they will make a good target.

As for the pleco, I have a bristle nose pleco in a tank with eco complete and gravel and don't notice any issues and its been two years. If you are looking for a pleco that eats algae, I would recommend the bristle nose over a common pleco. The other nice thing is they stay under 6 inches.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the advice! What do common plecos eat if not algae? What type of food is best to feed them?

why would you want a common pleco?? There are sooo much cooler looking plecos out there. Imyself have a royal pleco and a rhino pleco.

why would you want a common pleco?? There are sooo much cooler looking plecos out there. Imyself have a royal pleco and a rhino pleco.

I would agree with chest Rockwell, there are some very cool plecos and many stay smaller. I would search for plecos on google and see what you can find. They are all assigned a number starting with L, common pleco is L021. The food they eat differs by type. The bristle nose I have eats algae in the tank or I'll add algae waffers for some of my other bottom dwellers and he will eat that. I also have a clown pleco ( I don't recommend this type of pleco, I never see him), that I got from a friend and it prefers to "eat" driftwood. Some of the less common ones may prefer other things, you just need to research the pleco you like.

You didn't mention if you are going to have live plants in your tank, but if you are I would definitely stay away from common pleco or you will be replanting the plants every day.

from all that I have heard and researched tiger barbs are a big no when it comes to bettas or any other long finned fish. Many tetras will behave same way.
I keep my betta in a 55 gallon community tank with corydoras, a bristlenose pleco (which i suspect might actually be a rubber lipped pleco that the store mislabeled), kuhli loaches, mystery snails, cherry shrimp and guppies.

bettas have different personalities so you might have one that just doesn't do well with other fish. Luckily, mine is super chill. either way make sure he is added last to the tank so he doesn't establish a territory and then get defensive.
mollies need to be in groups. with a recommended gender ratio of at least 2 females for every male. I have another 20 gallon tank and I think 3 or four females is actually better. less stess on females.

guppies are also a gamble because your betta might view them as too similar to them and rip them to shreds. My betta was pretty aggressive when i first added him (i actually posted a forum/thread about if you want to read it).

bettas and community tanks tend to be kind of a gamble. good luck!!!!

Unfortunately a betta, one that is healing especially, would be a huge gamble with the Tiger barbs. You can almost assume the fins would get ripped up. I wish you the best of luck though!! :)

I agree with others about the common pleco; another thing to add is those things grow like weeds. If the tank is well maintained the pleco would probably outgrow it in 6 months.If that's not an issue then go for it, although I also agree there's far more interesting plecos you could look at (y) The substrate shouldn't be an issue.

As for the betta with tiger barbs- don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom