40g Breeder or 55g for my next tank????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam C.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Petco is having a big sell on tanks!!!! $1 a gallon or 50% off anything over 29g. I can't decide on getting a 40g breeder or a 55g. I like the 55g cause it is 48" long and I have Congo Tetra that would really like the extra length. I am thinking about a species tank and trying to breed the Congo. Only thing is it's only 12" front to back so not much room for plants. I have just really gotten into plants and I really like a nice planted tank. That's were the 40g breeder comes in. It is only 36" long but give you a ton of footprint to plants. What do you guys think? Also I already have a 46g Bowfront so I have an extra light (T8) and a hob filter (Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-wheel) that I can use to get it all up and running with until I can buy the better equipment. Just looking for a little help on making this decision. I would appreciate any and all opinions.

A zillion opinions here. Im a plant guy. If your a plant guy a 40b is arguably one of the best tanks to scape imo.

I think you have figured it out for yourself already. 40B makes a beautiful tank for plants. 55G popular for at least 40 years for good reason. It's a great midsized tank for fish. IMO much more forgiving than trying to keep stable water parameters in a small tank.

That's the problem! I'm both a plant guy and a fish guy. I really like my Congo Tetras and I know they would really appreciate the extra 12in of length. The 55 is 48 x 13 x 20 and the 40 is 36 x 18 x 16. With the 40 being so much shorter I can use my old light fixture which is 2 x 18in T8 at 15w each. That's not a lot of light but it would work for à while until I can afford to upgrade. I also have that old Marineland Penguin 200 that would work for either. Once again until I can upgrade. I am tore. I would probably make the 55 a species tank and try to breed the Congo Tetras. Even if I go with the 40 I will still probably move them to the 40 which is smaller than my 46g Bowfront that they are in now but has a bigger footprint. Grrr what to do, what to do? I don't even have to get either one of those and could go with something else completely like a 29 which is on sell for $29. Or a couple 20 longs. Or a 75g. Yeah that would be the best of both worlds. 48 x 18 x 21 sounds great!!! I'm so tore!!!!!

That's the problem! I'm both a plant guy and a fish guy. I really like my Congo Tetras and I know they would really appreciate the extra 12in of length. The 55 is 48 x 13 x 20 and the 40 is 36 x 18 x 16. With the 40 being so much shorter I can use my old light fixture which is 2 x 18in T8 at 15w each. That's not a lot of light but it would work for à while until I can afford to upgrade. I also have that old Marineland Penguin 200 that would work for either. Once again until I can upgrade. I am tore. I would probably make the 55 a species tank and try to breed the Congo Tetras. Even if I go with the 40 I will still probably move them to the 40 which is smaller than my 46g Bowfront that they are in now but has a bigger footprint. Grrr what to do, what to do? I don't even have to get either one of those and could go with something else completely like a 29 which is on sell for $29. Or a couple 20 longs. Or a 75g. Yeah that would be the best of both worlds. 48 x 18 x 21 sounds great!!! I'm so tore!!!!!

I bought a 60G with lid and stand, lights last weekend for about $200. There are many choices. I am thinking about a 29G while they are dirt cheap. Perfect for smaller fish, even if I don't set it up for months it's still a good deal.

I bought a 60G with lid and stand, lights last weekend for about $200. There are many choices. I am thinking about a 29G while they are dirt cheap. Perfect for smaller fish, even if I don't set it up for months it's still a good deal.

That is a great deal for a 60g! I'm going to head back up to the store this evening and knowing me like I do. I won't leave there without a new tank this time. Can't believe that I left the other day without one...Lol I'll be sure to let you'll know what decision I make but as of right now I think that I'm leaning towards the 55g. I really like the idea of having the 48in length for the Congo Tetras.

I believe many petcos are carrying the 75g tanks in DPG again ,but I am not sure.
Last sale many stores had 75s that had never had them before...
That's where you really want to be..75 ...
Other wise no sale on them but there is the 'rare' 33/45 long which is 48x12x12/16 as a great option...

PetsMart rather than Petco, may have the best deal on large combos if you need a stand, lid and other stuff. I love the Petco cheap tank deals but if you don't buy everything else online you will be in for close to the same amount of money in the end. Additional accessories are just outrageous at the big national pet stores. You are in 200 bucks quick.

And a 55G tank choice is not a bad decision IMO.

Ok let me give you guys an update. I was trying to decide between a 55g or a 40 Breeder. My wife took it upon herself to go out and bought a Marineland 55 Gallon LED Kit. She thinks she's being slick by doing that because she says it's my tank but doesn't want live plants in it. With the lights that come with this kit she just might get her wish. Anybody have any experience with this kit or the lights that come with it? Anybody have any luck growing plants with these lights on a 55? If so what kind of plants?
.....................................................................Total Watts.....Total Lux.......Total Lumen at 12"
55 gal Kit.....84 White/6 Blue LED at 0.11w......9.02.............990......................... 620

Looks like the decision has already been made (55g).
No experience with the stock lighting but doubt that they'll be powerful enough for the depth of a 55g

Looks like the decision has already been made (55g).
No experience with the stock lighting but doubt that they'll be powerful enough for the depth of a 55g

Yeah she is going to be pissed when I buy a glass top and another Beamswork DA Pent Led. I heard that tiger lotus can grow in the dark. I've never messed with that plant but if I can find one I'll drop it in and see. The bad thing is that the lights are so weak that I don't even think the fish will look good. IDK but I'm not a happy camper about this. On the flip side, now I have a 55g for my Congo's and since she just​ went out and bought one I guess I can too. So I will still have my 40 Breeder. The 55 kit was. Great deal tho. $155 for tank, Marineland Penguin 350 hob filter, heater, hood and LED.

Yeah she is going to be pissed when I buy a glass top and another Beamswork DA Pent Led. I heard that tiger lotus can grow in the dark. I've never messed with that plant but if I can find one I'll drop it in and see. The bad thing is that the lights are so weak that I don't even think the fish will look good. IDK but I'm not a happy camper about this. On the flip side, now I have a 55g for my Congo's and since she just​ went out and bought one I guess I can too. So I will still have my 40 Breeder. The 55 kit was. Great deal tho. $155 for tank, Marineland Penguin 350 hob filter, heater, hood and LED.
Like your thinking, just told wife this am,...grandchild on the way needs his/her own fishtanks. You buy clothes, furniture, etc. grandpa will buy a fish tank!

Back
Top Bottom