40g Breeder Stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just acquired a great piece of furniture that would hold a 40g breeder perfectly. Im thinking of planted but trying to do low tech. In my mind I would like a minimum of
1 x Rainbow Shark
2 Pearl Gourami's 1M x 1F
1 German Blue Ram Male.
6 Corydorus (False Julii)

Is there room for a school? Is there room for Corydorus as well as a school?

thoughts?

So I just acquired a great piece of furniture that would hold a 40g breeder perfectly. Im thinking of planted but trying to do low tech. In my mind I would like a minimum of
1 x Rainbow Shark
1 German Blue Ram Male.
6 Corydorus (False Julii)

Is there room for a school? Is there room for Corydorus as well as a school?

thoughts?

If it wasn't a breeder, I'd say no. But since it is, and it has a bigger footprint. You should be okay. You'd probably have room for another school of small fish like rummy noses, cardinals, or rasboras. I'd also watch out.for the rainbow shark. Mine absolutely hated all of the cories, and pretty much all of my bottom feeders. He slowly picked them off one by one, but all fish have different personalities, so all I can say is, keep the receipt. Haha

EDIT: You could bump the Cory cat school up to 8 or so, because of the floor space.

If it wasn't a breeder, I'd say no. But since it is, and it has a bigger footprint. You should be okay. You'd probably have room for another school of small fish like rummy noses, cardinals, or rasboras. I'd also watch out.for the rainbow shark. Mine absolutely hated all of the cories, and pretty much all of my bottom feeders. He slowly picked them off one by one, but all fish have different personalities, so all I can say is, keep the receipt. Haha

EDIT: You could bump the Cory cat school up to 8 or so, because of the floor space.

A fully grown rainbow shark will devour any of those schooler options. It will also most likely kill the corys and harass other inhabitants. It really is best to drop the shark from your stocking plans IMO.

A fully grown rainbow shark will devour any of those schooler options. It will also most likely kill the corys and harass other inhabitants. It really is best to drop the shark from your stocking plans IMO.

This IME is not true. My rainbow did not bother ANY of my fish except for my platties. He could have cared less about my corries and actually protected them from the fish who tried to eat their sinking wafers. It's really hard to tell until you get one because they don't all share the same personalities. Their aggressive nature is pure fact but who they choose to chase and attack is up to them and the setup of your tank. They are very territorial so once it finds a spot, ANY fish that crosses is fair game for incessant harassment.

This IME is not true. My rainbow did not bother ANY of my fish except for my platties. He could have cared less about my corries and actually protected them from the fish who tried to eat their sinking wafers. It's really hard to tell until you get one because they don't all share the same personalities. Their aggressive nature is pure fact but who they choose to chase and attack is up to them and the setup of your tank. They are very territorial so once it finds a spot, ANY fish that crosses is fair game for incessant harassment.

What is the size of the shark, once they are fully mature, they usually get more aggressive.

So nothing too small. Shame I really want the shark and love cory's. Oh well I will just keep cory's in my 29g.

How about
1 x Rainbow Shark
1 German Blue Ram Male.
1 x Clown Pleco
4 Boesemani Rainbow

Back
Top Bottom