40G Tank Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm sitting on my couch here in the living room and looking at my tanks...
10g
20g L
29g

... and thinking... Wow... I could trade my 20g and 29g for a 40g and put all my fish in there.

-- 4 female Mollies
-- 1 male Molly
-- 2 Platies
-- 1 Guppy
-- 1 female Betta
-- 1 Oto (will be 3 soon)
-- 3 Ghost Shrimp

(My 10g would have to stay by itsself because I have a male Halfmoon Betta in there and he wouldn't work with my current female... One would wound up dead, right?)

I would get excellent filtration... A HOB filter rated for a 60g... Aquaclear has been recommended.

I'd move all the gravel and decorations and air bubble strip from both tanks to 40g..

I'd need a stand along with the tank, and would have it in the living room.
I'd of course have to upgrade to a Python (or similar) water changer.

Question:
Would two 100w heaters work? (I have these in current tanks) One on either end of the tank? Or would it overwork the heaters?

What do you guys think and what do you recommend??

Thank you :)

1 heat of 200w is fine, but as you got two of 100w, 1 at each side is fine too.

darkmatter_3500 said:
Keep your other tanks and buy a 40 :)

Should I keep the other two torn down in the closet in case of an insane moment? ;-)

I'm thinking larger tank, better for fish and consolidation...

darkmatter_3500 said:
A larger tank is so much easier to take care of , and you will have snakker tanks to stock lol .

Smaller....? :) Haha..
Honestly if I didn't sell these i'd put them away. I don't want more cleaning or more fish right now. I'm a bit worn out.. Started 6 months ago and went to 4 tanks within 2 months!

In The future I want Rams :)

The smaller tanks can be used for quarentine , growout , ect or you can just stock them all over again if you want :) , the best deals on aquariums seem to be 125 gal if you really want something larger ;)

I am in your same exact position ocminpin. I am tearing down my 40 fresh and 30 reef to have a 66 reef. It will be sooo much easier just having 1 big tank and i will be able to focus on it more :) it has been worth it so far!

darkmatter_3500 said:
The smaller tanks can be used for quarentine , growout , ect or you can just stock them all over again if you want :) , the best deals on aquariums seem to be 125 gal if you really want something larger ;)

No no.. Haha too big!
I have another 10g in the closet now for QT or growout/birthing..

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I am in your same exact position ocminpin. I am tearing down my 40 fresh and 30 reef to have a 66 reef. It will be sooo much easier just having 1 big tank and i will be able to focus on it more :) it has been worth it so far!

Yea.... If I could find a way to put all my current fish in the 40 AND my new male betta (with my female) I would do that too.. But I know I can't... Only reason I'd leave that 10g up..

Lol, actially larger tanks = less maintenance. Its cool if you can do it, always get the largest tank that you can pay for or fit in your house , it so much easier in the long run.

darkmatter_3500 said:
Lol, actially larger tanks = less maintenance. Its cool if you can do it, always get the largest tank that you can pay for or fit in your house , it so much easier in the long run.

Since I live in a 3 floor condo complex I wouldn't want to go larger than 40... I'm not looking to fully stock it or even add much more than a full school of tetras...
I don't need a huge tank.. Wow! Did I say that!?? Lol

I live in an apartment block and I have a 10 a 30 and a 55 :D and my wife said no more.... That's what she said when I bought my two flatscreens lol will I listen? Nope!

Chronos313 said:
I live in an apartment block and I have a 10 a 30 and a 55 :D and my wife said no more.... That's what she said when I bought my two flatscreens lol will I listen? Nope!

;-) of course not.. Haha.
I'm excited... A 40 seems nice sized for my current stock..

Oh definitely but what about all the fun your having breeding? How will you manage that?

Chronos313 said:
Oh definitely but what about all the fun your having breeding? How will you manage that?

My females aren't having babies that have survived or appeared lately. My black Molly female never has carried full... And my silver molly gets there a little bit and then skinny... Perhaps my betta or they're aborting...

My 20g Platies and juvie Molly are still holding but a bit larger... Sigh...

I won't sell my 20g L... Love that tank

I had a dream about Mumma.of.two's tank and the 40g I want to set up! :-D She's inspiring me even more with the Cichlids... It's going beyond GBR in my mind now... I think best thing for me to do now is contemplate a few things...

A. Move my 20 & 29 into my bedroom and get 40g for living room

Or

B. Get 40g transfer all the fish and let them all live our their lives in their fishie mansion without getting any more fish.... And in a few years start with the Rams, etc....

My goal/idea was to upgrade so I had only one tank to clean and not multiple tanks everywhere... It does get tiring when it all needs to be done... Which is why lately I've been doing a little bit of something each day so I don't have two tank cleaning days that consume 3 hrs...
My rewards come every time I walk up to the tanks and my guys greet me appearing so excited I'm paying attention to them. :) All the space in a 40g seems like a great thing for them.
I have a feeling that in the long run if I set up the 40 without tearing down the other two tanks, I'll be frustrated and sorry I didn't transfer..
What do you think? I want your guys opinions...

Back
Top Bottom