42 hours and spike already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend had to have a tank since I talk about mine all the time...
She has a ten gal with a aqua tank 515 hob,, She got a set at walmart..
She has her temp right
There are 4 painted tetras
1 red tail shark
2 cory's
1 make opaline gourami

She has well water ..I tester her home water..low p.h.
they put nothing in their water for the tank?is that ok?

So to the point I tester the amon and it was VERY HIGH .So we did a 50% water replacement and added some P.h increaser .. the ph. leveled out ok.
.but the amon level was still yellow..We took a break to let the fish rest and I had taken her the Gourami just today.. I had no ideal the water would be so off after less then 42 hours set up..
They didn't let the tank water run through ..I would have killed everyone of them....Is she just lucky..mmm.

Thanks for all the help.. She is eager to learn about the tank. Ill pass on the help....

Did you cycle the tank first? Sounds like you didn't. When you don't cycle, and then throw a bunch of fish in there, there is nothing in the water to break down the waste. This causes all of your fishes waste to build up and stay in the water, causing an ammonia spike. I would go and buy some start right medicine or some bio-spira, something to help gain some beneficial bacteria in there. Until then, keep doing a water change to get the fish down.

Also, go and read Allivymar's article on the nitrogen cycle! I think you will find it beneficial to pass on to your friend! HTH some!

My friend got the tank yesterday and she told me this morning..so no to the cycle.. I learned to do that here and my 2 tanks are doing great and I really enjoy my fish now instead of the nightmare I made it..
Ok I told her to do the changes tonight to get no reading ...we decided to let the fish rest till tonight and she will do them.. I left my test kits and everything with her..
I could have stabbed her for not running the tank any..
I took her my old filter and just tossed it in there.Ill will get her the other monday..

So the answer was yes in that short of time?

yeah, personally I think that you may have a little too many fish in the tank...especially since there was no bacteria to break it down. If you can take some of her fish until it gets cycled, that will save her alot of time and misery. You're bound to lose a couple of fish if you keep all of them in there. With just 1-3 fish, it won't spike as fast, but it will still spike. Giving her your filter cartridge was a good idea. You may even go as far as stirring up a bit of your gravel and giving her a bit of your already established tank water. That should speed things up a bit also. Good luck with things, let us know how it goes!

Yes I do think that too. I will bring them here. I will get the Gourami back tonight.. I will tell her about the info.. Thanks ..she will be thankful later I told her I will be glad to help her.. She loves the tank already....... I will take her gravel also...Same color as mine..lol. I will I will...

Lol, sounds like you have things worked out good. Just a side note, you don't want to take her gravel. You just want to get some of the bacteria and waste that is in your tank and put it into her tank. I think that may be easier than transfering gravel and everything. It's up to you, I'm just trying to suggest an easier way to get things done :)

If you were talking about something different, I apologize, I'm gettin' a little tired :)

Glad I could help some and Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom