45 gallon 24'' tall with canister filter for 100 bucks ... yes please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucky07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So as the title says it looks like I'll be getting a 45 to replace my 33. Knowing me I'll be keeping both and just moving stuff around but that's beside the point :).

, power just gave out. No power = no heater, no heat = bad for fishies. Hope this doesn't last too long.

Back on track. A little background on my tank cycling habits. I don't cycle unless it's a new out of the box setup. Here's how I set my 33 up not long ago, I played with hot and cold water while filling it up to get it to 78 degrees from the start (god bless digital thermometers), throw a seasoned biowheel filter in there, test water, wait 4-5 hours, test again and throw fish in if all is good. I've done this many times, never had an issue. My 20 was set up with a spankin new filter and I left it 2 days before adding fish. Zebra Danios to make sure if something goes belly up at least it doesn't cost much , that's as cautious as I'll get.

I don't advise the way I do this to people just getting started in the hobby however as you can end up with dead fish real quick.

Now with the way I've been doing things, common sense tells me if I do a 60 (or so) percent water change in the 33, taking the water off the top, put that in the new 45 and top both off with new water I'll have 2 established tanks in no time. Now everything will get a good cleaning and the media in the filter will get changed as the new tank is housing goldfish right now. No way am I exposing my angels to the potential pathogens etc. that may be in that goldfish tank/filter.

An established bio-wheel works wonders cycling a tank. Would I be better off running a bio-wheel in that 45 rather than the cannister? I don't have much experience with can filters and not too sure how easy it'll be to keep good quality water with it as with the bio-wheels it's a breeze and extremely low maintenance.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding used water to a new tank won't do anything to cycle it; very little bacteria exists in the water column.

How many tanks do you have? If you don't want to use media from the goldfish tank to help cycle the new one is there another tank you have that you can use media from? Or run the new filter on an existing tank to seed it for a few weeks?

I'm a little confused as to what tank has what filter, fish, etc.

Two tanks as of now, I'm waiting on number 3 now.

33 has a bio-wheel and all the important fish,
the 20 has a simple cartridge filter (came with tank kit) and the danios
and the new tank would have a canister.

The idea behind the old water is to easily get my water parameters closer to where I want them faster, it's not about cycling the tank. My main issue here is that the tap water is a tad hard and doing a half/half with the soft water that I've got in my tanks now would make my life much easier.

I'd imagine my best bet might be:

Move the cartridge filter to the 33
Bio-wheel to the new tank (run the cleaned canister as well)
danios to the new tank.
And leave the 20 empty and without a filter for a few days.

Then after a couple weeks play musical filters again and give the tanks their respective filters back.

MTS on a budget gets complicated lol.

Back
Top Bottom