480 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a friend with a 480 gallon tank. No matter what he does, he can't seem to stabilize the water. He's tried adding chemicals (only who knows what) and multiply water changes. Any ideas on how to improve his water? Some of the more hardy fish have survived, but many end up less than alive. I've suggested that he just start over with a fresh tank. With all that stuff that's been done to the water, I'm not sure if there are any other options.

When you say he can't stabilize the water, what exactly is the problem? pH? Ammonia/nitrite? What are the parameters of the tap water? Is it hard or soft? What is it's pH? Is is well water or city water? How is the tank set up? What kind of gravel and decorations? Filtration? Sorry for all the questions but we need to know more to suggest a possible solution.

lol at loganj bringing the correct to this thread

please, go back to your friend, get the details and don't ask any more questions until you have more info.

I tried

Well, I tried directing him to these forums, but he says he can't find the time. Ah well. At least I tried to be a good samaritan.

Lordy... with a 480 gallon tank, these sort of problems seldom arise. Larger tanks usually provide buffers for all sorts of problems.

If he's having pH and KH problems, he should add some limestone (Texas Holey Rock) or crushed coral to stabilize the tank. The addition of CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) prevents large pH swings, and makes fish more comfortable.

If he's having Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate problems, his tank is probably new, and not cycled. He needs to do frequent water changes until the bacteria in the tank have had time to colonize all the surfaces and start metabolizing the nitrogenous waste created by the fish.

Chemicals are always the wrong way to go, esp. as most of them are fast-acting and quick to lose effect (e.g. pH up, pH down). Certainly keep us updated.

Oh, and Kudos for being a good Samaritan... The fish thank you... and we need more good Samaritans in the world.

Aquazen - We really should know the parameters on the tank and tap water before giving advice but it appears that your fish keeper friend really isn't that motivated. Seems odd given he owns a 480 gallon tank. 8O

In the absence of any information, here is what I'd suggest (better than doing nothing :? ):

1 - Use tap water and perform 25% water changes every 2-3 days until the tank stabilizes. Depending on what chemicals he's placed in the tank it could take up to a month for stabilization.

2 - Do NOT use any PH buffer chemicals or any other kinds of chemicals in that tank. The only thing you should put in the tank is something that removes chlorine/chloramine. THAT IS IT!

3 - Follow the golden rule that a stable PH is far more important than the actual PH value. So if he's trying to get his PH to a certain level tell him to STOP! Just accept the PH of the tap water.

4 - Do NOT add any more fish until the tank is stabilized.

Sure the advice I'd provide could change depending on the specifics of the issue but in the absence of any informtion provided, following the above 4 suggestions will greatly help for the vast majority of freshwater fish keepers. :wink:

Water problems

Well, the last time he checked, it natrate was well over 40 and pH was in the low 6's. At one point, the pH couldn't even be read as it was 'off the scale'. We figured that the nitrate problem was mostly from his 6 giant oscars who keep eating his other fish. They have a tendency to muck up the water. He's also got several fist sized goldfish and a 1.5 foot red-tailed catfish, who had a great time eating the 8 inch catfish he placed in the tank a month ago. He also has about 3 arowanas to top off the species list.

We're thinking about using some Prime to fix the nitrate. We also picked up some crushed corals this afternoon. He's gonna add it in tomorrow and monitor throughout the week to see how the pH is doing.

Like many of you, I am rather surprised that his tank is having so much trouble with balance. He cycled his tank for 3 months and added starter bacteria as well before adding in fish. He uses city water, which is a bit on the soft side, but shouldn't be too much of a problem. I use the same type of treated city water, and all the fish in my 10 gallon tanks have been doing very well.

I do think that part of the problem has been that he tried to adjust water parameters by adding more and more chemicals. He has already done a 50% water change (that's a lot of water for a 480g) and plans on doing it again tomorrow.

I only get to speak with him on occasion, but will keep everyone up to date as how things turn out. 480 gallons is a lot of water to mess up.

Back
Top Bottom