5 Gal FW Planted Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I planted the HC deep. I am seeing some very green looking shoots coming through the substrate now. I think sitting it up on top like I did killed about half of what I started with, but it looks as though the remaining is going to do just fine. Still nitrites and ammonia in the water... so no shrimp yet. Oh well, if I have learned nothing else since starting this hobby, it is that nothing good happens quickly in a tank...

Still cycling. Planting the HC deep really did the trick though... getting a lot of bright green HC poking up through the substrate now. The Lilaeopsis is really taking off now too in the front left corner. Even the fissendens seem to be surving better in this tank than they did in my 29.

19738-albums378-picture2842.jpg

Nice. HC is wonderful. Be careful if you use a python to do water changes. The tiny roots of the HC wont hold it back in a strong current. Just had the pleasure of learning that the hard way. LOL I love the tank its comming up nicely though

Ben,

I found out I am going to be moving this summer (due to work) so I think I am going to throw some RCS in soon, but hold off till I get resettled on the CRS.

Believe it or not, I still have some readable ammonia due to the ADA aquasoil. But I really think I will be good to go to add some RCS by next weekend. I haven't decided if I am going to buy them from my LFS or purchase online. I like to support the LFS - it is a great store, so I don't mind paying a bit extra.

Ben,

I found out I am going to be moving this summer (due to work) so I think I am going to throw some RCS in soon, but hold off till I get resettled on the CRS.

Believe it or not, I still have some readable ammonia due to the ADA aquasoil. But I really think I will be good to go to add some RCS by next weekend. I haven't decided if I am going to buy them from my LFS or purchase online. I like to support the LFS - it is a great store, so I don't mind paying a bit extra.

I got ya, that's cool that you support your LFS. That's always nice. I was going to say if you need some yellows i'll have some ready in a month or so. But your not buying yellows. Oh well it's all good. I think reds would look better in your tank then yellows anyways, not enough black soil for yellows. I don't think anyways.

UPDATE: The tank is cycled!

Plants are doing well. The ADA soil is rediculous for the root feeders. My pogostemon erectum has to be trimmed once a week in this tank, and hardly ever in my 29G. The HC is still looking healthy, although not spreading to quick. The lilieopsis is really doing great. I started with a 1" runner and it has now grown to fill in the front left corner of the tank.

OH yeah, and since I bought the tank for shrimp, I finally am getting some! BS6749 is sending me some RCS tomorrow. Still going to wait on the CRS, but am excited to get some life in the tank.

Here are a few pics of the new growth:
19738-albums378-picture3133.jpg

19738-albums378-picture3134.jpg

looking great ! I love that bright green plant, I will have to read again and see if you named it :) I find every single plant I put in my 5.5 will grow great ! and if I move them to the 20 gallon, or any 55 .. nothing ... everything likes the 5.5 LOL ~~~ guess I just need to buy more .... LMAO ~~SUPER NICE TANK !! cant wait to see it with shrimp !!

IF you are talking about the stem plant in the back, fishcrazybenbomb got me an ID - it is called pogostemon erectum.

Here is a really terrible photo -- but there are now shrimp in the tank! About 35 RCS! They are still a little pale from their journey, but the color is starting to come back.

19738-albums378-picture3204.jpg

LOL That is the Iphone camera -- not recommended for the professional photog.

I am shopping around for a digital SLR... but I need to hit the lotto first!

YES I Am dying for some of those stems !! does anyone have any >>> ????? please let me know ~

Not too bad. I have lost a few, but overall the coloring is returning, they are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom