5 Gal FW Planted Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I remember correctly your tank is ada right? what about your light? what is it? I looks like a clamp on light? but i'm not sure

It is an archaea 27W CF clamp on.

The ADA light for the Cube Garden Mini M is a CF 27W (same bulb as the fixture I bought) and it costs around $200. I got this one for about $35 I think. My LFS sells them. BTW, I have looked around the www for it -- I cannot find an online source for this light.

It is an archaea 27W CF clamp on.

The ADA light for the Cube Garden Mini M is a CF 27W (same bulb as the fixture I bought) and it costs around $200. I got this one for about $35 I think. My LFS sells them. BTW, I have looked around the www for it -- I cannot find an online source for this light

Weird... I would be careful... your LFS may have a large amount illegal children working in the back producing your tank.

Ok, finally have the tank setup after moving across country. I spent a bunch of time looking and rearranging the hardscape last night and I think I got it the way I want it.

I spent some time looking at various scapes, and decided I am going to do 4 species of plants:

HC in the extreme foreground, some lilaeopsis up near the fronts and sides of the rock, and dwarf hairgrass in the back. For the fourth plant, I am going to attach some anubias nana petite to the rock work. Would love any feedback on aquascape ideas.

I got the CO2 system back up and running. Was surprised to find when I stuck the pH probe in that the pH of my tap water here is around 6.5. It is going to get rather low when I start adding CO2. Of course the pH probe could be faulty since it has been dry for the past 3 months. I suppose I should get out the test kit and go to town...

I like the look of the tank except for the god awful yellow pH probe, so I ordered a short, 4" all glass probe from milwaukee, and that should be here in a few days. Once that is in I think the hardware will look sharp.

Particulate is still settling out of the water, but here is what it looks like filled up. Now I just need to get the drop checker filled again, and get my plants on order.

19738-albums378-picture5175.jpg

19738-albums378-picture5174.jpg

I think it looks good. There is only so much hiding of equipment that you can do at this point, lol, but I see what you mean about the yellow probe. Once the plants settle in you'll need help finding your equipment. :p

I like the rocks and the plants interspersed will give them a cohesive look. I look forward to seeing it later on. Nice job!

didnt know they had an all glass probe. i'll have to look into that. do you have a link?

http://www.eseasongear.com/miinmaphglel.html

Got it from eseasongear.com. It does not say it is specifically designed for aquariums but it does state it is suitable for lab use. At twice the amount of the plastic yellow one it was a little pricey but so is everything else in this hobby if you want it to look perfect. I will let you know how it works out.

def let me know how it goes. i've been trying to clean up my tank.

Good to see you back fort, I am looking forward to seeing what unfolds with this tank.

So I thought this was pretty amazing...

After my substrate spent roughly three months in a sealed bucket with no light and relatively little moisture, after surviving the temperatures of being in storage and on a truck in Arizona and across the southern US, the snails live! I have already pulled out 2 or 3 1-millimeter sized snails after having water in the tank for 2 days.

And, even more amazing, there is a single strand of java moss that I must have missed when I pulled all of the plants out, and it lives! It has turned green and perked up in 2 days.

Anyway, I just thought that was pretty incredible.

My first round of plants arrives on Friday... trying to get the CO2 balanced, ferts will be next.

Alright! Plants are in and doing fine. Still looking for some dwarf hairgrass to go in the back right corner, will be just a little different than the lilaeopsis, and I hope grow just a bit taller than the lilaeopsis too.

19738-albums378-picture5234.jpg

19738-albums378-picture5233.jpg

I found a great cabinet for this little tank. Everything fits in it perfectly.

19738-albums378-picture5232.jpg

I have been looking around and it looks as if the price of CRS has really come down in the past 6 months. 10-20 CRS to start and 2-3 cardinal tetras is what I think I am going to go with. The water is a little softer here in Georgia than it was in Arizona, around 6-7dKH & 4dGH. Anyone think this is still too high for CRS and that I need to go with RO/DI water?

I think the water ought to be fine - it is going to be much more important that the water params stay stable for these sensitive little things, which will be easier if you are not trying to manipulate values with every water change. JMO

It looks really, really good, Fort. I like how you arranged everything. Very esthetically pleasing.

Glass probe came in today. It looks so much better than that yellow thing. Now I am just waiting on the dwarf hairgrass to fill out the back right corner, and I think I will be good on plants. Here are a couple of pics with the new probe installed.
19738-albums378-picture5268.jpg

19738-albums378-picture5270.jpg

19738-albums378-picture5269.jpg

19738-albums378-picture5378.jpg

Here is an updated tank shot. It is coming along nicely. Been fighting a little bit of algae, I think my P levels got a little out of whack while I was gone last week. Seems to be coming back under control. No shrimp yet, been busy with work, but soon...

Back
Top Bottom